Chapter 1 - Elements of a Dream

Chapter 1

Elements of a Dream

"Mon ami. Please listen to yourself. You sound out of breath just going on about this. It is making my stomach hurt," Francis pleaded. His lavender eyes saddened into a downturned shape as his youthful hands hugged each other in a fit of displeasure. "You know that is not true."

"I feel pain, Francis. I am so sad when I realise it," I whispered. "Every time I go outside, or when I take a look at the morning paper, I see it. I see the ethereal beauty of another and I feel like fainting."

"But my love. You must remember that everyone is different. That is what makes you unique," He grabs my petite hands and holds them gently in his. His knuckles were broad, yet they were so gentle. If you were to brush your knuckles against his, you would have mistaken him for a young woman. "If everyone here on this very planet looked the same, we would all be fighting for the same love, am I right? There are characteristics and features that you must flaunt in order to be seen. Everyone who looks at you will believe you are magnificently different. They will grasp themselves onto you and wish that you would see them. Focus, my love. Focus on my love. Focus on your ability to learn from this experience and you can love yourself even more from it."

My throat shrivelled up. I felt as if there was some sort of romantic awakening when I felt Francis' hands' caress mine. His words spoke to me. It was a moment that I was going to forever remember. My eyes drifted closed once my lips curled downwards. There were a few tears travelling down the sides of my face.

"Don't frown, mademoiselle. You don't know who enjoys looking at your smile. Better yet, I believe that he may be falling in love with it," Francis said gently. His hand trailed up my arm to set his fingertips on my chin. He gently pushed my head upwards for me to look at him. "You are magnifique, Y/N. Tu me plais."

"Oh Francis," I breathe out sadly. "I do not know what to say. I guess what I'm trying to say is thank you. You are so kind to me; even when all I do is weep about myself."
"Don't apologise for something like that, mon ami. Believe it or not, I actually had trouble finding beauty in myself when I was a much younger man. But I promise; as you get older, you get wiser. You learn to love yourself because you realise that true beauty lies within a person," He responded quietly. He stared into my eyes and I felt myself pushing my head forward. Our noses touched and rubbed against each other swiftly. His grip on my shoulders tightened as my breath became short. His eyebrows lifted as his mouth opened ever so slightly; I was able to see the bottom of his teeth. They were straight and well-kept. His breath was warm, but a comforting warmth. It wasn't an uncomfortable amount of warmth, just enough to make someone want to share a warm and savoury kiss. I was expecting the pleasure of meeting my lips with his, but I was turned away.

"It is too early for this, mon ami. I feel wrong taking a kiss from you when you have not figured out what it is you need," Francis responded. "I have been around for years. I know how it feels to be kissed by someone and then left with no answers. I do not wish that kind of pain on you."

"But Francis," He let go. I was unable to fulfil the need to moisturise my lips with his saliva. His kisses were something I adored. Something that I knew would answer the questions that I had. "You have relieved my pain. Please do not leave me this way. I am starting to know what it feels like to be adored by one I am falling in love with."

Francis' eyebrows lowered as his fingertips dug into the door he was holding onto.

"Please think about yourself, mon ami. My heart beats for you, and only you, but I cannot allow yourself to love another when you are just beginning to love yourself. Your love is the most precious gift for someone, and yourself," And the door shut before I made contact with his eyes for the last time.