Makio

Makio had an ugly secret. People whispered about it behind her back, she was well aware of it, they looked at her with pity and disgust, often both. She held onto the shreds of her dignity tersely, telling herself that if she appeared unbothered and proud with her head held high, they would eventually find something more interesting to talk about.

Only they didn't. The whispers became louder and nastier. She stopped going outside when it became impossible to ignore them, at the same time hating herself for her cowardice. Often, she fantasized about killing each and every one of the people in her village, her violent fantasies the only thing keeping her sane.

The marriage arrangement with this remote cousin of hers was a gift from the heavens. She would get away from her own village and rotten family! She would be taken in by one of the strongest and most powerful of men who would shield and protect her from the malevolence of those who wallowed in the misfortune of others. Grasping this chance of a lifetime with both hands, she had put her heart and soul into meeting the Uzui Clan's expectations, finding a new purpose in training her body and her mind relentlessly to the brink of collapse.

She had finally met her bridegroom for the first time a few days ago. His towering height and bulk had awed her - besides, he looked like a God come to earth with his white hair and fuchsia eyes, she had never seen a man more handsome than him. She fell for him hard and fast.

Unfortunately, she had also met the other two wives that day. She should have expected this, it was common for well-off men to take several wives, but the realization that she would have to share his protection, worse, would have to compete for it had deflated her completely.

Makio didn't allow herself to cry, ever, but she wanted to at that moment, out of frustration and fear. Her co-wives were absolutely gorgeous, much more beautiful than her. Suma's eyes and her kitty-like playfulness - Hinatsuru's hair and radiant face - both had perfect skin and figures, and when they smiled... She told herself she had to be way better than them at fighting, but there was no opportunity to challenge them to a match; they had to sit around demurely all day and get ready for the wedding.

It was hell for her. As soon as she had seen the other wives, she knew that Uzui Tengen would refuse to take her in for sure. He didn't need her. He had ears, he would hear about her disgrace - and why would a man like him accept spoiled goods? There had to be hundreds, thousands of women willing to be his wife!

"Makio, is it?" Was the first thing he had said to her, smiling down from above.

She had been dumbstruck, dazzled.

"I knew your brother," he had added and when she hadn't replied, her tongue tied in painful knots, he had turned away to talk to someone else without a second glance at her.

All throughout the ceremony, she had expected someone to speak up against her. Even now, she continued to listen for hasty footsteps outside, coming to remove her from among Uzui Tengen's new wives. Yes, he had kissed her first, but he had wanted to see Suma naked before her, and the kiss he had given Hinatsuru was so much better than what she had received! Being wise, he refused to tell them whom he favored, but it was clear it wasn't her.

It couldn't be.

She was panicking more and more before it suddenly hit her: this game he was playing with them was the opportunity to show him what she was capable of. To a man like him, courage was everything, right? She just had to be more daring than the others to capture his attention!

What a stupid fool she was.

The moment her husband showed all of himself because of her dare, Makio felt like a massive fist closed itself around her throat to squeeze all the air out of her lungs. She couldn't breathe... couldn't breathe, couldn't breathe! The acute memory of her deepest humiliation washed over her, threatening to drown everything.