16

BELA

"We will be like this only right?"Mahir asked and I turned towards him.

"I thought we will be like this for all our life,but..things didn't work out Mahir",I said and his eye's moistened.

"Bela..I love you",he said and I felt a pang in my heart.

"Why do you love me so much Mahir?Even after our split..how are you able to still love me?"I asked,my voice breaking.

"Because there were a million reasons for you to leave me,but you always found some reasons to still stay with me and make this work",he said.

"You saw my efforts?To make our relationship work?"I asked.

"Mhmm..I did Bela,I observed.I felt it,when..I was busy with work..you...you used to try to talk to me,make me calm..I can't forgot that all",Mahir said.

"But..I didn't see the other side of your's,where you were healing me and breaking yourself",he said and I moved close to him.

He opened his arm's and I snuggled into him,feeling warm.

"I imagined a beautiful family and future with you Mahir,everything was going good.But I can't..I can't stay if the person I love avoids me..it hurts",I muffled a sob.

"Bela..look here",Mahir said making me look at him.

"I never stopped loving you Bela..never.Work..yes,I was busy with work and it used to hurt me when I couldn't spend time with my love and my new born..it hurts.But I was helpless baby",he said and a tear slid from his eye.

I wiped his tear and caressed his beard,
"When are you going to shave?"I asked and he chuckled.

"You used to do my beard,and I'm used to it.You were not there since all these months..how will I shave?"he said rubbing his nose against mine and I chuckled.

"So you kept it like this only?"I asked.

"Yes..since...six months I think",Mahir said.

"Mahir..can I ask you something?"I asked and he nodded caressing my cheek.

"How did you feel when I sent the divorce papers?"I asked with guts.

Because we never spoke about divorce,we fought for it but never spoke.

"I was broken Bela",he said looking at the clear sky.

I was more broken than him!

"I felt very ashamed...the day I received divorce papers..I failed as a husband,friend..a father..I failed as a man",he said and my heart pained.

"I never thought our relationship would stand in a court..in front of our family...our daughter Mahira..I did a grave mistake..I lost myself that day",he said.

"I dealt those three months in pain,aching for you and Mahira.I couldn't bear it,so I gave a plea in court",he said looking at me.

I sobbed and hid my face in his chest,he was rubbing my back when I was shedding tears,
"Baby don't cry..",even his voice was breaking.

"I..our marriage..I didn't want to break it like this Mahir",I cried.

"Then why Bela?Divorce?"he asked wiping my tears.

"Before being your wife..before being Bela Mahir Sehgal,I was Bela Sharma.I was an individual with my own self respect Mahir..my self respect is more than the love I give and take.That's why..I had to",I said.

"You are right..any women would do the same thing",Mahir said.

"Mahir..now only four months are left for our final hearing",I said and he looked at me.