Chapter Thirteen

"Please take care and remain true to the man I know you are."

It turned out Arthur didn't need to be concerned about Charlotte arguing with him for the rest of the night. After he agreed to hold off leaving, she retreated to her room, shutting the door and never coming out.

Was she giving him the silent treatment? He didn't reckon she were the kind of person to ignore him, but he weren't thinking he didn't deserve it neither. He only wished, since he was staying the evening, he could've actually spent some time with her on his last night.

He slept like shit and woke up coughing something terrible. Like his body knew he was about to betray it and leave the peaceful cabin to return to work. When he couldn't take being miserable in his room, he rolled out of bed and went to be miserable in the main room.

Charlotte woke an hour later. She didn't comment on his state, but there was no way she hadn't heard all his coughing in the early hours of the morning.

She paused in her doorway, dressed in the same skirt and top as when her family had visited. Likely, it was the cleanest and most intact clothing she had.

"You ready?" he asked gruffly before he changed his mind without her help.

"Before we head out, I want to give you something." She turned back into her room.

Arthur sighed and followed, pushing her door open further. "Charlotte, there ain't no need—" She faced him, cradling a tan leather coat. One he recognized. "Where'd that come from?"

She stepped up to him and handed it over, explaining, "It's the coat you were wearing when I found you. I couldn't salvage any of your other clothing, but I've cleaned and stitched this up the best I could."

His hands strayed over the leather. "You sewed this?"

"Contrary to your expectation," She smiled, a twinkle in her eye. "I'm not without any skills of my own, Arthur."

His mouth felt dry. "You didn't have to do this."

"Of course, I didn't have to." She shook her head. "I did it because I wanted to."

There she was, always giving and never expecting anything in return. Then he grasped the real reason she'd hidden in her room. She hadn't been ignoring him. "This is what you were doing last night?" Even after he'd snapped at her.

"I was hoping for a bit more time to tidy up some of the fraying, but it'll do for your journey." She patted the top of the coat. "Go on. Put it on."

Feeling unworthy of the kindness, Arthur pulled it over his shoulders. Charlotte started buttoning the coat before he could tell her he preferred it open. He allowed it, watching her concentrate on each button. When she reached the last one on the top, she smoothed out the collar and rested her palms on his chest.

Her crystal eyes met his. "What do you think?"

Arthur was thinking this was the kind of send off a wife gave her husband. Too intimate a gift for her to give to the likes of him. "It's nice."

She raised her brows. "No need to bestow high praise on my account."

He winced. "I didn't mean it like that."

She smiled and brushed her knuckles on his cheek. "I'm only teasing. I'm glad you like it."

Oh, God. He wanted to pull her close, forget everything except the two of them in this cabin and kiss her until oblivion.

She dropped her hands and stepped back. "I just have to grab my bag."

"I'll get the horse saddled." He turned on his heel and got out of there before he made a fool of himself.