Part 2

"Red Flag (II)"

The next day, Hyunjin and Yeji joined me for lunch. I had intended to sit alone, but as students filtered into the cafeteria, the chairs around me were filled by either Hyunjin's friends or his members of his football team. Some of them had been at the fight, but no one mentioned my ringside experience.

"Hyunjin," a passing voice called.

Hyunjin nodded, and Yeji and I both turned to see Jungkook take a seat at the end of the table. He was followed by two girls wearing short skirts and tank tops, one of them sat on Jungkook's lap; the other sat beside him, pawing at his shirt.

"I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth," Yeji muttered.

   The girl on Jungkook's lap turned to Yeji. "I heard that, bitch."

   Yeji grabbed her lunch and threw it down the table, narrowly missing the girl's face. Before the girl could say another word, Jungkook let his knees give way, sending her tumbling to the floor.

   "Ouch!" she squealed, looking up at Jungkook.

   "Yeji's a friend of mine. You need to find another lap, Liz."

   "Jungkook!" she whined, scrambling to her feet.

   Jungkook turned his attention to his plate, ignoring her. She looked at her sister and huffed, and they left hand in hand.

   Jungkook winked at Yeji, and, as if nothing had happened, shoveled another bite into his mouth. It was then that I noticed a small cut on his eyebrow. He traded glances with Hyunjin and then began a conversation with one of the football guys across from him.

   Although the crowd at the lunch table thinned, Yeji, Hyunjin and I lingered to discuss our weekend plans. Jungkook stand up to leave but stopped at our end of the table.

   "What?" Hyunjin asked loudly, holding his hand to his ear.

   I tried to ignore him for as long as possible, but when I looked up, Jungkook was staring at me.

   "You know her, Kook. Yeji's best friend? She was with us the other night," Hyunjin said.

   Jungkook smiled at me in what I assumed was his most charming expression. He oozed sex and rebelliousness with his long black hair and tattooed arm sleeve, and I rolled my eyes at his attempt to lure me in.

   "Since when do you have a best friend, Yeji?" Jungkook asked.

   "Since junior year," she answered, pressing her lips together as she smiled in my direction. "Don't you remember, Jungkook? You ruined her cardigan."

   Jungkook smiled. "I ruined a lot of cardigans."

   "Gross," I muttered.

   Jungkook spun the empty chair beside me and sat, resting his arms in front of him. "So you're the Cupcake, huh?"

   "No," I snapped. "I have a name."

   He amused at the way I regarded him, which only served to make me angrier .

   "Well? What is it?" he asked.

   I took a bite of the last apple spear on my plate, ignoring him.

   "Cupcake it is, then," he said, shrugging.

   I glanced up at Yeji and then turned to Jungkook. "I'm trying to eat here."

   Jungkook settled in for the challenge I presented. "My name's Jungkook. Jeon Jungkook."

   I rolled my eyes. "I know who you are."