Chapter 3 : Protection

You're so tired, and it doesn't take too much time for you to fall asleep.

You wake up a few hours later, but the sleep you got wasn't so refreshing, you can feel that your eyes are still puffy from crying, also, even though you did your best to rapidly clean the wound on your cheek, it still bled overnight, and spread on your pillow.

And you had to change the pillowcase anyway.

Your cheek is all slick and you can detect the presence of dried blood on your chin and temple.
Feeling pretty gross, you decide that it's time for a deserved shower.
You notice that you didn't even change last night, not that it was really important, you were exhausted.

Looking out the window, you notice that the sun hasn't yet fully risen, it's still early.
You didn't sleep so well.

Tossing and turning all night long wasn't such a fun experience, you felt too hot, but when you kicked your blanket out of the way, you were too cold.
All night felt like a never-ending fever dream. You can recall a few nightmares, but the memories are foggy, and it's better to move on from them, what's the point in trying to remember dreams that will make you feel bad when you'll be under the shower?

You hop out of your bed, stretching your arms and legs as you walk towards the bathroom.

You undress quickly, letting your clothes fall to the floor, you tell yourself that you'll pick them up later.
Now naked, you enter your small wooden shower cabin and turn on the water, letting it run down on your skin. It's not the warmest, but it'll do.

Now that you're well awake, you think about yesterday, and the shower is usually the right place for that: thinking.
You bring all the memories back; first, you need to gather 50 000 golds by tonight, second, you need to keep calm, and third, not to die.

You have no damn idea of how you're going to do all of the above.

Shaking off your thoughts a bit, you decide to really wash yourself instead of just letting the water flow down your skin.
After scrubbing your hair and body, you clean your cheek wound with actual soap, and you have to admit that it feels better.

Getting out of the shower, you take a look at yourself in the mirror, the cut on your cheek seems to have healed up a bit, it's still there, but it doesn't look as bad as yesterday.
You still have a bruise around the cut, and the bottom of your eye is kind of blueish, but all in all, it isn't so bad.

Even with a torn face and all your teeth plucked out, you still wouldn't be the worst-looking lady around. It's pretty sad when you say it this way, but hey, it's Bilgewater.

After looking at yourself for what you decide is a cringy enough amount of time, you pick up your towel and dry yourself, making sure you're doing it carefully where your wounds are.
Now that you're all clean and dry, you need to get dressed, which is usually better if you're planning on going out.

You make your way to your bedroom and pick some simple clothes.

Black pants, white button-up shirt. Simple, yet presentable.
You work in a bar, not in a brothel, that's what Phil told you when you showed up to work in a dress once.
Let's say you never dared to show your ankles again.

You now need to pick up your dirty clothes, and you then make your way to your bathroom again.
Picking up the shirt and pants, you notice something falling out of one of the pockets.

Ah yes, the red card.

One of the two men gave it to you, yesterday.
If you're being honest, you really can't remember his name at all... Was it Francis or something? Whatever, you're probably never going to see them again anyway.