Chapter 2 - The date

Xie Lan arrived exactly at 6 p.m in front of the bookstore. He was really nervous, his palm were sweaty and he kept checking reflection on his phone to see if he looked alright. Xie Lan never had a real date before and he wasn't sure what he was supposed to do or say or even wear. He put his long hair in a messy bun and wore some dangly earrings  that his friends got for him for his birthday. As for his clothes, he choose a simple white hoodie with some ripped black jeans and some chunky black boots.

Hua Cheng approached him after closing the store.

- Hey there! I'm glad you came.

- H-Hi. Me too. Xie Lan bit his lips. He wanted to ask him if it was really a date or if he was just messing with him but he couldn't bring himself to speak up.

- Shall we go ? There is a chinese restaurant not too far away from here. The food is really tasty, it's my favorite !

- S-Sure ! How was y-your day by the way ?

- Hmm. Boring. The time passed really slowly. I was looking forward to our date so I kept checking my phone.

- O-Oh. I s-see. Xie Lan blushed and tried to hide his smile. It was really a date, he thought.

They walked for around 5 minutes, chatting about this and that, before arriving at the restaurant. They sat in front of each other and ordered their food. Xie Lan wasn't really good with booze but he let Hua Cheng order some for both of them anyway. He quickly relaxed and started talking more and more. Maybe it was the effect of the beers he drank or it was Hua Cheng's calming aura.He looked at Xie Lan whit a smile and listened to his rumblimg, happy to see him open up to him.

After finishing the food, they both walked to the bus stop. They discovered that they were living close to each other, so they could take the same bus.

- Hey. Do you wanna come over ? We could chat some more and if it gets too late you can just sleep over.

- I'd l-like that.

Xie Lan made a really big and adorable smile and it made Hua Cheng's heart skip a beat. He drank a little and was surprisingly chatty. He was laughing a lot and he got really touchy. Xie lan was bumping into Hua Cheng while walking, grabbed his hand and even hugged him when he thought he was going to fall. Pretty sure he would have just let himself fall face first into the ground if he would have been totally sober, he thought. Hua Cheng didn't mind all of this. It was weird because he barely knew him yet he never felt more happy in the company of anyone else before.

They went back to Hua Cheng's place, ate and drank a little more and chatted until 2 a.m. Xie Lan was starting to doze off so he picked him and put him in bed. Hua Cheng laid down next to him, he hesitated for a moment, then he wrapped his arms around him and fell asleep holding him.

The next morning, Xie Lan opened his eyes first. He was trapped between Hua Cheng's firm arms, he instinctively buried his face into Hua Cheng's chest. He smiled so damn good, Xie Lan thought. The grip around him got stronger and Hua Cheng's eyes opened lazily. Xie Lan immediately tried to get up but he couldn't get free of the hug.

- Good morning, said Hua Cheng in his sleepy voice. Slept well ?

- G-Good morning, replied Xie Lan shyly. Y-Yes, thank y-you.

Xie Lan remembered all the nonsense he did and said last night. It made him want to burry himself in a hole. He recalled that he tried to land a kiss on Hua Cheng's lips and he really hoped it was a dream and that he didn't really try to do that. The worst part, was that Hua Cheng didn't let him do it. He said something about him being drunk and that he didn't want Xie Lan to regret this. He didn't know whether to laugh or to cry right now. It was truly mortifying.