Chapter 1

I was used to it, older men looking at me. It isn't new to me at 22 and it stopped being new to me at 14. So I wasn't really bothered when my bestfriend/coworker Elanor lightly shouldered me after getting done with her customer,

     "That creep at the hat kiosk has been eyeing you the whole time you've been packing those tea leaves," she grimaced. I smirked lightly. I noticed him about 30 minutes ago and have been slouching forward over the counter to show off my assets a little more. Mid as well have some fun while you're at work. 

I looked up at him through the glass front of our shop and winked at him. "I know," and laughed. 

     "I would go ask if he wants some tea leaves but I'm scared I'm gonna see his hand in his pants," she shivered in disgust and started weighing more tea leaves for me to pack. "You know Mia, I don't know why you entertain worms like that, he doesn't even look like he is in his 20s". 

     "Can't I say they are more mature?" I question without looking up. She has asked me this before. It's because she has seen me pick up multiple men before in the shop and different kiosk vendors. We have worked together at the Tea Leaf shop in the Stonewall Galleria for a few years. There has always been a kiosk in front of the shop, with revolving tendors. Mostly the middle aged, over-gelled and drenched in cheap Italian cologne kind of tendors. The kind who drools at you with their eyes and ask for your number instead of your name. I'm happy to soak up the attention. 

    "They are not mature and you are definitely not looking for maturity," she pokes my side and the heaping tablespoon of loose tea leaves I had goes drifting to the floor. 

    "You-" I was about to poke at her sides back when our boss called from the back,

    "Elanor! Can you do some samples of our half off teas please?! Thank you!" She giggled and stuck out her tongue at me while scurrying off to make the little samples and stand out front. I get our little hand held broom and get to sweeping up the leaves, when a pair of polished black dress shoes enters the store. 

    "I'll be right with you!" I call out to the customer quickly trying to finish cleaning up. 

    "Take your time" a deep smooth voice like velvet answered back. His voice caught my attention, it sounded aged, like fine wine. I looked up from the floor, he was looking at a wall of various tea leaves. I could only see his backside. Tall and broad. I stowed away the broom and washed my hands quickly. I walked over while swaying my hips incase he were to look back, getting close enough for the back of his arm to graze over my breasts. 

    "That's a good one you have there," motioning to the bag he had in his hands. I didn't even see which one he had. 

    "I'm trying to find one for my wife," he turned towards me finally showing me his face. His eyes found mine, he needed to tilt his head severely downwards. His eyes were light but he also had small dark circles. He wore a dark business suit that was tight to his body like it was tailored for him. His hair didn't have any gel in fact, it looked like a ball of well groomed fluff. I had to tell myself I couldn't reach out and grab his hair, he just said he had a wife. 

    "We have some more romantic flavors on the other wall if you'd like" I smiled at him with my eyes and tugged my lips up. It was almost automatic for me to flirt. His eyes traveled down to my name tag and then slowly further down and back up to my eyes. Did I just see that correctly? I felt my stomach heat up. I definitely saw that correctly. A little smirk grew on his face and I saw his tongue move across his teeth. 

     "Lead the way Mia" he said gently and motioned me forward. I stood there for a second keeping my eyes locked with his and then started to walk to the opposite wall. I picked a tea that was on the highest shelf so I could stand on my tippy toes and perk out my butt. I also picked out one more on a shelf below my waist so I could bend down and pick it up. I didn't look back to him to see if he was looking and I moved fast enough to make it look like I wasn't doing it on purpose. This was something I have practiced before and its worked nearly every time. With both bags in hand I turned around to see him looking at his phone. So that was for nothing. 

    "These two have very romantic aromas. This one has more floral notes as opposed to this one which has more berry notes. Me personally, I like the berry one the best for date night," I bat my eyes at him and hold them both out. He looks like he ponders me for a  moment and then grabs the berry one out of my hand without even looking at it. His fingers glazed over mine quickly. 

   "Looks like I'll be taking the berry one then," I let out a breathy laugh and so does he. 

   "I'll check you out over there," I point to the register counter and start walking towards it, "not like I haven't been" I giggle loud enough for him to hear since my back is turned. I hear him laugh.

   "Oh you're just saying that so I'll buy some tea" He places the bag onto the counter and rubs a thumb across his bottom lip. 

    "Don't be too hard on yourself now," I laugh softly once again. We get through the transaction without us saying anything more than the total but afterwards he didn't leave right away, he seemed to be lingering. Then slowly, he started to walk out and called back to me when he was at the entrance of the store,

   "Thanks for the help, Mia. This tea better be as good as you say or I'll be coming back here," he joked lightheartedly.

    "I'll be looking forward to it, maybe then I can learn your name!" I stick my tongue out a little at him and watch him walk past Elanor who was walking in with her sample tray which had only one sample left. 

   "Oh seriously? He had a wedding ring Mia! You seriously need to go back to therapy," Elanor shook her head and walked past me, putting the tray down. She is the only one who knows I went to therapy once and why I stopped. She is also the only one who can talk to me like this, so matter-of-factly because I know she just cares. I went to therapy a couple times a few years ago and once he tried to diagnose me, I never went back. I never acknowledged it. Or well I tried to not acknowledge it but sometimes I let it in. Once Elanor and I got quite close and she noticed my rather provocative behavior, I told her about that therapy session, what the therapist told me, and why I act like how I act. So since then, even though she's supportive of me, she is also constantly telling me I need to work on myself, to stop throwing myself at random men. A lot of girls get catcalled, most girls get catcalled. And most of the girls get repulsed and ignore the men who do it but me, I relish in it. I love it. I have to act on it, and I love to act on it. I crave the attention and the interactions, the sex. Call me a sleaze but it works for me.

    "I don't want to go back to him" I huffed.

   "You don't have to go back to him, you can pick another one. Maybe a female would be best for you too. Start over, tell her what you've been through, what you're going through and maybe you'll even get a different diagnosis" Elanor looked at me seriously. It's been years since I've been to therapy last and the idea doesn't absolutely revolt me right now.

   "What if I say I'll think about it?" I shrug. I mean it sincerely but I'm not absolute on the idea yet. She bounces over and hugs me. 

    "That is perfect. That is more than you've ever said when I have brought up therapy. You got this mama Mia" She smiled and started stocking up behind the counter. I sigh and start eyeing the man sitting at the hat kiosk again. We make eye contact and he winks at me. I grab the last tea sample off of the sample tray and waddle over to the hat kiosk.