TWO

Harry and I drop and drop and drop, but we're hitting the ocean so soon that I hardly have time to think. The water is neither cold nor warm, but it's brimming with mermaids who won't hesitate with drowning us—they mostly stay near the lagoon, but mine and Harry's location is unknown.

"Harry, come on," I say, breathless as I grab his arm. "We need to keep moving unless you want to be drowned."

"I can swim, Louis."

"Doesn't mean the mermaids aren't quicker than you."

He doesn't say anything, nor question my intentions, but he kicks as hard as I ask him to. I don't pay attention to anything other than reaching shore without being drowned. I don't care about my burning muscles but push and push and push until I'm collapsing in the sand next to Harry. I chuckle breathlessly as I inhale Neverland's scent—despite the worrying clouds, I'm happy to be back. And I'm happy that Harry doesn't have any reason to doubt me anymore.

"Louis?"

"Yeah?"

"I think I'm dreaming."

"I told you that you're not."

"This can't possibly be real."

"Even when you're here, you don't believe me."

"Louis—"

"Forget it, Harry."

I stand up with no idea where we are. I can't see much beyond sand and trees and ocean, yet my heart is aching with recognition. London is currently my home, but Neverland is surely where I belong. I'm not sure I want to go back to London when I'm not sure how to exist in that world. There's no way around the realisation, but it troubles me beyond explanation. Staying would be a tremendous adventure, something that would make me content, but to never see my loved ones again? That would be beyond heartbreaking. And the decision-making is even tougher now that Harry is here, because he surely doesn't want to stay here—perhaps I can somehow get him home and stay here on my own in case that's what I want.

I've wanted to go back since I was last here, but during that time, it slipped my mind that I wasn't alone when I was thirteen. Lottie and Felicite were a constant throughout our last adventure, so once I'm over the initial thrill, I realise how terribly distressing it is to be here with someone who doesn't even want to believe it's real. I'm supposed to locate someone I haven't seen in years, but suddenly it occurs to me that I have no idea where to look. And Harry is merely spinning around to take in his surroundings, seeming turned around and unable to settle into the idea. I want to hug him, but we hardly have time to get sentimental. And yet we're stuck because I'm not in the least bit sure which direction leads where.

A presence appears soon enough, accompanied by bells—the sound is mild yet prominent enough to spark my memory. Fairies are the only creatures in Neverland who are recognisable by such a distinct sound. And this one has dark hair that's braided down her back and skin that's darker than Tinker Bell's. Her dress is created by the same leaves, but I suppose that's a normal dress code when it comes to them. Fairies are mesmerisingly pretty—every single one—but I've learned the hard way how vicious they can be when they want to. I'm keeping my distance, not because I'm particularly scared yet, but because Tinker Bell was someone I needed to keep an eye on in case I wanted to avoid a disturbing outcome.

"Louis."

I step closer to Harry. "I see her."

Her language is bells, bells, bells, so I'm not sure about her intentions when she comes closer and closer. Peter tried teaching me, but even then I could only hear bells. There has never been more to it than that, but this one seems rather desperate, so she only gets more and more irritated when I'm merely staring at her.