Chapter One

First off, I apologise for the slow start. I'd really appreciate any constructive criticism. Thank you.

I finally finished work, after dealing with an asshole customer. Waitressing is bloody hard, let me tell you. How I keep my patience, I'll never know.

I locked up the cafe and set upon my journey home. I had to get on two buses and then walk, making my total journey time an hour long, every morning and every night. I used it as an opportunity to listen to the old Yogpod's again although I very nearly knew them all off by heart at this point. I restrained from shouting "I'm thirty two years old!" on the bus in time with Simon.

Nearly home now.

It was just getting dark, as I was walking through our dodgy estate of council flats. I finally walked up the stairs in the close and got to the flat.

"I'm home, babe!" I called as I stumbled through the door.

"Hey, beautiful, how was work?" my boyfriend Rob asked me. I walked through the kitchen to the living room where he was sat, watching telly.

"Ooft, it was busy. And long. Had a few customers who were a bit rude but it was alright, I guess."

I bend down in front of Rob and kissed him before walking through to the kitchen and preparing to make dinner.

"Hey babe? Good news!" Rob called through the flat.

"Ooh, what is it?" I exclaimed.

"Well, Alan's got a mate needing a job done for him, pays a lot of money and it's long term!"

I was over the moon. Rob's been unemployed for two years. I 'yay'ed and hugged him, kissing him on the cheek.

"I think we should go out tonight, some place fancy, to celebrate," Rob grinned.

"Sounds great, let me put something nice on and fix my face," I smiled at him and kissed him on the nose.

I walked through to our room, got undressed and hopped into the shower. As I was showering, I couldn't help but look at my body. I could see the scars running up my side from where my mum smashed a bottle on me and the glass got embedded in my skin, the bruises on my collarbones and down my legs and the scars than ran up and down my arms and across my thighs. I knew I had a black eye too.

I shook the awful thoughts off and hopped out of the shower. I wrapped my purple hair in a towel and dried my body before putting on underwear and a bra.

I tried on a dress that goes to my knees, that's purple with silver rhinestones across the skirt.

Ugh.

Nope.

You could see my bruised collarbone.

I tried putting cardigans over it, even buttoning them up but none of the collars were high enough to cover it. I pulled the dress off and was about to start looking for something else to wear when I felt hands snaking around my waist.

"Jesus, Rob! You gave me a heart attack!" I cried and jumped around. I hid all my scars, of course. I don't know why though, he's seen them before. Of course he has. He's never mentioned them.

"You look beautiful," he smiled, trailing his arms across my stomach. "Maybe before we go we should..."

"No, Rob, not right now. I'm not in the mood. Look, get off me. Lets go out and celebrate, alright? Can we just not do this just now..." I stuttered.

He gawped at me for a second before nodding. "O-okay.." He turned to leave but paused when he saw the bruises on my legs and collarbone. "How did you get them?"