𝐓𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐞 𝐥'𝐨𝐞𝐢𝐥

It was such a beautiful normal night

It was such a beautiful normal night. I was sitting on my favourite comfortable cushiony blue chair near the window. It was raining and lighting outside and the temperature of my room was cold which is why I was snuggled in my blanket with a book in my hands.

The smell of mud and the quiet stillness of the stormy night will always remain my favourite forever. I was about to take a sip of my tea when I heard the door bell ring.

"Hello...umm...sorry my car broke down...and I couldn't find any network on my phone..." said a tiny old man drenched in rain and shivering so much that I could hear his teeth chattering loudly.

"Can I stay until the storm is over?" he asked. He was barely able to stand and being the good host, I welcomed him inside. When he walked inside, dripping water on the cold floor, He was wearing very old and shabby clothes and the collars and other parts were almost torn. He also had a coat which was too big for him and a satchel.

I understood that he must be homeless and just wanted shelter in this violent stormy night. I didn't mind the company. 

"Thank you for letting me stay. I promise I will leave as soon as the storm is gone." he smiled in such a grandpa manner. His smile was so warm. And the way he would touch my forehead or my hair reminded me of my grandparents.

I felt good being helpful to someone. I felt warm even with the uninvited company which I grew to enjoy.

"So you live here alone?"

"No. My flatmates live here too. We share the house."

"It must be nice. Young, free, happy, stress free life...I remember when I was..." and he started saying things that you can imagine old people to say.

I made a hot cup of tea for him which he drank desperately in an attempt to keep off cold and also hold that burning hot cup in his ice cold wrinkled hands and to his cheeks.

He kept talking and talking and without realising the time flew. It was very very late and the roads were completely empty in this area way before midnight on a regular day. So on a stormy night like this, the roads were so empty that you could easily lay there for the whole night and still manage to stay alive.

3:37 A.M.

The storm transitioned into a soft drizzle and the quietness grew even more. This is usually when I would love to do anything but hear this guest talking.

"Oh look! The storm is over. I must leave just like I promised. You must be so bored hearing an oldie like me. Sorry lad and thank you."

I walked him to the main door after exchanging a few pleasantries. 

"Oh! Before I leave—" he gave me his satchel and I could feel the heavy bag on my palm. I hesitated but then took it with both hands and looked inside. As soon as I opened it a strong odour hit my nostrils and I instinctively covered my nose. I saw a cheap black plastic bag inside and nothing else. Smile covered the face of the old man when I looked at him.

"Happy?" I didn't respond, he laughed dryly. He simply left me standing there with the fingers of my flatmates in a cheap blue plastic bag inside the satchel. I looked down with horror, a shiver ran down my spine at the ungodly sight. They were fresh and bloodied up and I just couldn't look at it. I dropped the bag on the floor and puked then and there.

I saw something in the bag so I bent down and picked it up with my trembling jelly hands. There was a note on the inside which said: Guess who's next, lad?

══━━━━✥◈✥━━━━══