Chapter 1

"You are beautiful, you are smart, you are not useless, you are Mya Tatum," I rehearsed to myself repeatedly. Trying to withdraw my insecurities.

"You are Beau-,"

"Mya if you don't get your sorry ass down here right now I'm leaving you," interrupted Arianna, my best friend.
"COMING!" I shouted down the three flights of stairs.

I guess you can say I'm your average girl. Standing at 5'3, jet black hair (which I could somehow never tame), green eyes that resembled moss, and a mocha complexion, which I seemed to have gotten from working out during the midday free period. You could say I lived alone because I've only seen my parents occupying this space twice. Once to buy it and once to tell me 'Good luck at your new school, don't forget to unpack' their existence in my life was faint.

Amy and Christopher Tatum founders of Tatum Inc. One of the largest companies in North America. They seemed to have a huge hand in every spectacle of America except for their daughter. My parents, I had to love them.

"MYA!" Ari screeched yet again.

"Oh, stop all the screaming you idiot, I'm here," I engaged as I reached the last step of the second floor.

"It's about fucking time," Arianna started," I thought I was gonna have to come and pull you by your hair to the car." She concluded as she swung her arm around my shoulder.
"Great thing I'm here now," I stated as I snatched a granola bar off the kitchen counter on my way out. As we approached the car and mid-opening of the door I just had to ask.
"Why must you swear so often, you said you would cut back," disappointment clear in my voice.
"Oh, babe I'm sorry, please don't leave me," she mocked exasperatedly finishing with a puppy dog-eyed look, clearly fake.
"Your such a sarcastic bitch Ari," I responded rolling my eyes.
"I have feelings ya 'know," Ari said fake hurt seeping through her words. "Now get the car, I'm now in the right mind to leave you here to rot."
"Bossy as always, but who would you talk to without my lovely company," I added.
"True so let's go before we're late..again," she trailed on.