Epilogue

One year, his life had changed completely in just one year. At thirteen, he had been bitter, angry, and utterly alone. It took a stranger to push him in the right direction. A brother to set him on the right path. Home was no longer a place he dreaded. Especially, when he had someone placing a fresh serving of hot chocolate on his desk.

A soft smile grew on Whitley's lips as he nodded at his butler and picked up the fresh mug of hot chocolate. There was little else he could wish for at the moment. He sat comfortably in his own study on the third floor of the estate, occasionally halting his SDC assignments in favor of watching the entertainment in the courtyard. Another flash of light drew his attention to the courtyard below.

Both of his sisters stood at a distance from each other in the courtyard below. Winter, draped in her Schnee Security Forces uniform, pointed her sword at Weiss. Weiss held her rapier forward as the two slowly circled each other. Suddenly, two white glyphs illuminated the courtyard. Both of his sisters launched themselves forward, exchanging strikes.

"Winter has been working Weiss especially hard these last two weeks, hasn't she? I honestly didn't think Weiss would keep up as well as she has," Jaune spoke from his side.

"I noticed it as well. I believe Winter is just anxious about Weiss leaving home soon for Beacon. They have been training together off and on for months now. Yet, it seems Winter is finally throwing her all at Weiss."

"That's pretty impressive if you think about it. I remember watching Winter ragdoll her all the time when she was living here. Weiss even cheered when the Schnee Security Forces headquarters was built and Winter started spending time in Vale. You remember how long Winter plans to stay home this visit?"

Whitley tapped his finger on the desk as he tried to recall, "Hm, she came home exactly two weeks ago. If I recall correctly, she never gave an exact date. I honestly believe she plans to leave with Weiss."

Jaune sighed, "She really is worried, isn't she? I know the White Fang have been ramping up their activity in Vale, but I guess I underestimated how much of a presence they have. Winter's paranoid about something happening."

Whitley frowned, "More shipments of dust have been targeted within the last month than the entire year. I admit, even I am growing paranoid. The White Fang in Vale are growing bolder and the Valean council are leaving us in the dark on their intelligence reports."

"You would think they would trust the SSF a little more. They are putting lives at risk by not keeping our forces up to date on information when they hire us to protect shipments within Vale. I guess they are just that incompetent. Did you know they only just recently renewed my citizenship? I was waiting on my documents to process for months."

Whitley reached out and poked his butler's side, "You only had to wait months because you were unwilling to speed up the process with bribes. How many times did I tell you to do so?"

The butler grinned, "At least ten times. Maybe more. I lost count after a while."

Whitley rolled his eyes, "Congratulations for managing to count to ten. May we always be blessed with such small mercies."

"I'd toast to that if I wasn't out of bread."

Whitley glared at Jaune, "My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is now ruined. Go get Weiss and Winter refreshments instead of assaulting me with your horrendous concept of humor."

"Damn, there goes my career in standup. I'll bring lunch up in an hour, until then Whitley."

Whitley turned his attention back to the SDC documents on his desk as his butler exited the room. Even though his butler came with defective humor, Whitley would never replace him. He saw Jaune as another extension to his family. Jaune, Winter, and Weiss were all that mattered to him and the reason why he was cooped up in his study filling out hours worth of documents Jacques gave him.