One

Chapter One

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I sat alone, my back against a pine tree in the wide open park in beautiful Holmes Chapel, Cheshire.

I had been moved here, to a new foster family, 6 months ago. I, myself, am surprised this "family" lasted this long. Foster families had thrown me back. No one wanted me. I was just never good enough to keep. I was like a goldfish.

You'd pay attention to me for a little while, then forget me when bored.

I drew random shapes into the cold, hard ground below me, hugging my knees into my chest with one arm. Just yesterday, I had turned nine.Yup, nine. I watched as the hundreds of birds flew all in an almost arrow-like fashion. When the bird at the tip moved slightly to the left, all of the other birds quickly got into their new position now slightly to the left. I wonder what would happen if that bird just---fell. You know, what would all the others do? Would all the other birds follow the leader as he plummeted down to the solid ground. Or, would they move on? Choose a new leader whilst the other one lay face first on the ground...dead.

The horrid images were yanked from train of thought when I felt the empty space to my right suddenly become occupied. I let my eye-sight drift, ever so slowly, to see the one beside me.

A boy?

He turned to look at me. He put a subtle smirk on and spoke, "Hi, I'm Harry." I was a bit taken aback at him. He had deep dimples on either cheek and deep green eyes that I could stare into forever...they just seemed so...friendly.

"Um, I'm Katherine," I reply shakily. His smirk lifted higher and I couldn't help but smile back.