FIRST DAY AT THE PALACE

I can still see it vividly how the empress's courtyard looked as if it was yesterday. The way the white walls with red trim looked intimidating, the trees in the middle of the grass proving the shade while we waited for our fate was decided. I really cant remember the type of tree it was.

Seeing I was scared and nervous all at the same time, I had butterflies going a million miles per hour in my stomach. Having your fate and destiny planned out by people isn't a fun thing. So many possibilities where you could end up.

There was a possibility you could end up as a concubine to either the emperor or the prince's. A maid to the empress is a first wife to the prince. At this moment, it was all decided. I remember having knots in my stomach because it did not matter where I would end up. It is the drama that follows with it all.

I remember my mother's words haunt me at this moment in time. Anything is possible on the road to success. Being a servant has its rewards less drama than just people wanting the highest rank.

Concubine, now that is different, fighting for the attention of whoever I marry to. If I land first wife position, I will have people coming for my life to take my spot.

Then there is the emperor's concubine, the fight of all fights to gain his favor, life, or death battle. If you are not a favored concubine or wife, you get treated badly by the servants and your living quality is not that good. But if your favored it is full of enemies.

Wow, I just got ahead of myself. Let me introduce myself. My name is Li Na. I am seventeen years old just starting my life. My family was full of love and understanding. Being raised with good fortune in life, I was thankful. I have no complaints.

As my looks go, I think. I am all right, but everyone thinks it is something special. I have black hair like onyx. Eyes green like the purest form of jade. I am of average height. My waist is slender but curving in all the right places. My mom made sure I looked extra special today.

She said, "it was the beginning of something new. A chance to put my past behind me."

My education is what a noble daughter gets: instrument lessons, art lessons, embroidery, dance, and, of course, standard education because I am a girl. I cannot learn more than the boys. My brothers at least taught me what they learned as far as math and reading go. My mom taught me calligraphy.

So, I am ahead of most noble women my age. They come in hoping to be a concubine or principal wife. I just want a peaceful life here. Good thing is if I am a house cleaner at twenty-six, I get to leave and get married. The matriarch of the family I serve has the final say.

Look, the others are already talking about me. I wonder what they are saying? I know I look different from the others. Hoping the emperor does not notice me, I don't want to be his concubine.

I already have a tough time because I look different from most.

Mom told me "the gods smiled on me the day I was born. I was born to do wonderful things."

As time keeps ticking, the more nervous I am getting. As I glance around the courtyard, I noticed a childhood friend of mine. I wonder if he noticed me. Oh, wait, he noticed me. He is walking this what a relief that he is here in the palace.

I can feel a little better. His name is Shuming Zheng. He is a guard here in the palace. He has light hair which is unusual for our time dark eyes. His personality is a kind of heart and soul. He would go to the ends of the earth for his friends.

When I look at him, I just want to smile because he just lights up the room.

"Hey Li Na, how are you feeling? You look a little scared it is going to be ok," he says.