Chapter 7 Girl's POV

That's it! A delusion! How could I have been so stupid, I need one if I ever intend to catch up with the others. I remembered the story from the game about them sucking out your life force, but they can't possibly be that horrible if Tartaglia uses them all the time. Also, my healing could negate its effects.

Once we got to Inazuma I ended up killing one dude from Kokomi's army in his sleep – sorry bro, collateral damage, you would've died in battle anyway – and dashed with his pyro Delusion. My theory about the healing worked, but Tartaglia gave me a huge scolding as these Delusions were counterfeit and a lot more dangerous to one's body as those which Harbingers possess – they were intended to earn us some Mora and kill off our enemies. "Why do you always get yourself in so much trouble?"

I got a personalized pyro Delusion after a lot of begging and became actually useful as more than a spy. My cryo Vision also got stronger with time and I kept relying less and less on my new Delusion, although my natural aptitude still forced me to specialize in healing. The Fatui who used to mock me were now showing me respect and my knowledge of enemy attack patterns led to me taking on a leader role more often. I didn't forget the bullying though and made sure to punish the offending party once I became a sergeant.

"We have the high ground, don't let the enemy pass through our ranks! Pull back, I'll get rid of the small fry." I told the soldiers.

I made a small shield around a squirrel that accidentally wandered onto the battlefield – watch out little guy – and started casting "All-burning flames, give me the strength to blow my enemy to smithereens! Hell's fire!" The fire from my Delusion engulfed everything, transforming the foot of the mountain into a crater. Everything except the traumatized squirrel was incinerated.

As Tartaglia extinguished the flames with his Vision, he put an arm around my shoulders and commented. "You know, I really can't decide if you're scary or a big softie."

"It's one of life's mysteries."

"Is the reason why you chant also one of those? The Delusion responds to your thoughts, you know."

I got red in the face. "I thought it sounded really cool..."

Scaramouche piped up "I told you you'll end up together, my hunches are never wrong." To which Tartaglia quickly retracted his arm and refocused on the battle.

Me and Tartaglia grew closer as I climbed the ranks. It took me a while to stop being so formal with him, but once I did we became good friends. He was actually a genuinely nice and smart person, even more so than I thought at the beginning. As time went by I became increasingly aware of him. There was something intoxicating about his aura, and his unwavering determination awakened something within me that was stronger than the initial feeling of admiration.

By the time we got to Sumeru I was actually ranked higher than him and he had already asked me out.

"Hey, Tart! Come see this, it's so pretty!" Being the home of the dendro Archon, Sumeru really didn't disappoint with its flora. The flower field stretched out as far as the eyes could see, adorned with mesmerizing shapes and colors.

"I told you not to call me that, it's so embarrassing! Man, I miss the good old days when you called me Lord Harbinger, it sounded really hot in retrospect."

"I'm like 5 ranks higher than you now sweetie, aren't you the one who should be calling me Lady Harbinger now?" I kissed him before he could muster a reply.

"It's a shame we must destroy beautiful things like these flower fields while fighting for our cause." I continued.

"Every change contains something demonic– it creates something new, but also destroys the old." He said, gazing into the distance. "Don't ever change, okay?"