Heroes

Every couple hundred years history repeats itself. The cycle is so consistent we knew precisely when certain large scale events would happen. It was always the exact same story... and we all loved it.

Every couple hundred years there is a prophecy. The wording changes, but its always the same basic premise. Some great darkness will come over the land and a set of heroes would be chosen to do with it. The world would be saved, the heroes would go down in history, and life would proceed as usual until the darkness returned and the process would start all over.

Naturally over time we got pretty good at predicting when the prophesied darkness would arrive "The Day of Shadows" we called it. It gradually became a kind of special holiday. There were parties in the weeks leading up to it. On the actual day of shadows as darkness cloaked the skies we would celebrate the selection of heroes! Chosen heroes were celebrated before embarking on their epic adventure.

Unfortunately all good things must eventually come to an end. The Day of Shadows arrived on schedule, but the darkness did not. People were baffled! Scientists scrambled to find an explanation. What could have happened? Were their calculations off? Was it simply late? No one knew. For the first time in millenia, The Day of Shadows was bright.

It was an absolutely perfect bright and sunny day. The darkness never came. After a while people stopped worrying about it. If the darkness never came, the world was not in danger and there was no need for heroes any more right?

Gradually the days got longer. Nights got shorter. It happened so slowly at first no one noticed. It wouldn't have mattered if they had. Before too long night stopped coming all together.

Once again there was panic! There was another mad scramble for answers. The days got hotter and hotter. People longed to see the darkness again, but we sent heroes to chase it away. There was talk of selecting heroes to bring the darkness back, but nothing came of it. There were no prophecies for guidance.

I don't know what will become of us now. No hero can save us from ourselves. The darkness is gone and no one knows if it will ever come back. The darkness is gone and it is our fault. We needed the darkness. It protected us from whatever this is. Whatever happens to us, it will be our own fault. We didn't know.