CHAPTER 3

Aiden takes a moment to stretch after sitting for so long he needs it and then we are on our way.

"Where are we going?" He asks groggily.

"You'll see." I tell him, leading him up the stairway. We go up to my study in silence where I notice him observing the titles of the books on my shelf. Maybe he is interested in reading.

"Shall we?" I open the door and motion for him to get out of my study. He complies. I quickly lead him down the hallway and take a right passing by the door to my room. I quickly shove him through a door on the right and shut the door behind us. Normally I wouldn't have lead him anywhere near my wing but with so many people roaming the corridors I have no other choice. He needs to be kept hidden.

The room is devoid of any colour, from the walls to the furniture, everything is white. A large bed sits in the middle of the windowless room, a large rectangular ottoman placed in front of it. An empty fireplace sits on the other side of the bed. A small nightstand sits beside the head of the bed and a wardrobe stands in a corner.

Without wasting anymore time I point him to another door and he walks in without a word. If he keeps complying like this I don't think it would be difficult to keep him in his place. I hear the shower turning on and I take out an old pair of jeans and a t-shirt that I kept in the wardrobe. These are dad's old clothes that I found in his closet. The t-shirt might be a little big for him but at least everything is clean and most importantly he will fit in where I'm taking him.

The shower turns off and he pokes his head through the slightly open door.

"Do you want me to come out the way I am or do you have new clothes for me?" He asks in a smug voice. I throw the clothes at him, annoyed at the image his question conjured in my head. Grabbing the clothes midair he shuts the door and chuckles softly.

"Laugh all you want now because you won't be laughing when you find out where you are going." I yell at him through the door while I drum my fingers on the nightstand impatiently.

The door opens and he walks out, his towering frame covering almost the entire doorway. The clothes are a little loose on him but still fit him. His hairs are disheveled and damp but he looks much better. Seeing me a smile tugs at the corner of his lips. I feel my cheeks heat up.

"Are you done?" I ask, faking nonchalance. I can't seem to control my reactions around him. Three days and I've become soft. I need to keep reminding myself that there is no place for affection in my life at least not now. This is a war zone and he is my bishop or my knight, I haven't quite figured that out. The point is that he is my right-hand man and he and I need to be focused on the task at hand, not on each other.

"Yes, your majesty." He says with a deep bow, feigning sincerity. One of these days I will remove that smug smile off his face. Sadly that day isn't today.

"Come with me." I snap at him.

I sneak him out of the castle leading him through the long, wide hallways and take him to the grounds. On the way I explained his role for the next few days and only told him what he needs to know, all other information is irrelevant for him to know. It doesn't concern him. Maybe in time I will tell him but not yet. I don't fully trust him yet.

We walk across the freshly mowed grounds to the east side. There are a few guards sitting around the stable. I can't take him near the stable. Aiden watches me intently waiting for my next move. He follows my gaze to the dimly glowing thicket of Night-Amber trees.

"Got it."

"Wait over there." I point to the thicket. We both say at the same time. He peels off my side without waiting for me to say anything.