𝟷. ᴀ ғʀɪᴇɴᴅ ᴡʜᴏ ɪsɴ'ᴛ ᴍʏ ғʀɪᴇɴᴅ ʏᴇᴛ

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

The ring of a school bell. A sound that announced the worst time of day. A jungle of bodies awaited a student when they dared a step outside their classrooms. It never mattered how early you jumped out of your seat and bolted for the door, somehow, one was always too late.

People were fighting their way through this chaos. It became an unconscious routine to most. A standard procedure that came with visiting a public school. A second nature ignored from how many times it happened.

As one entered the mass, they had to mind the less mindful. Kids screaming for their friends, tripping you up, following the flow. A student passed the variety of clubs on their way out of the herd. There was the chess club, the book club, the football team and the cheerleaders, or friend groups that simply existed.

One girl weaved through the crowd, trying to turn all this out. She always kept her head low, always avoided touching anyone and always was too affected by what happened around her. Holding her breath was her only solution to the otherwise ragged breathing she would exhibit. Not that it would matter, the overexcited chatter managed to absorb it.

Then, relief. Breaking up two friends to push out, she finally escaped. Their complaints went unheard as they mingled with other voices. She arrived at her locker. Her hand instinctively rattled the lock, it had failed her every now and again. A decided slap to the door and the locker granted her a view of her deepest self.

With the exception of a random nail file that had fallen out of the overstuffed makeup bag, it was mostly organized. The girl quickly returned it to its proper place, zipping it shut.

She glanced at the clock across the hall, reaching for a water bottle and taking a sip. The break had barely begun. This left her with 10 minutes to relax and mentally prepare for her next period.

One of the pictures on her locker door captured her attention. It had become loose and was in danger of falling off. She couldn't have that. She put the bottle down and inspected the photograph while fixing it. It showed a young girl hoisted up by her arms between two elderly people. Their wide smiles accentuated their happiness at the time.

Closing her eyes, the memories hit her like a powerful wave from which she was helpless to flee.

Jordyn Soto-Barkeley thinks she had a pretty normal life up to this point. It may not be a spectacular or ideal one, but it made her the person she is today. And she regards herself as quite alright.

Yes, the absence of a stable friend circle or at-home parents could seem ‌lonely at times, but Jordyn deems to be an introvert anyway, so it doesn't bother her anymore.

Back in her childhood, when she had to spend all her days with her abuelos instead of her parents, naturally, she felt abandoned and wouldn't understand what she did wrong for her parents to not want to spend any time with her. But it felt like a long time ago.