: Chapter 14: "One thing that isn't fake is that I like you,"

Chapter 14

(Unedited)

As I prepared for Dryden's party, I did not know what to expect. It had been some time since I had been to his house, but I was sure I recall everything the same way. I wasn't sure what overplayed clichés would also be attached to the mechanisms.

It occurred to me that my parents would disapprove of me going to the party unless I told them Dryden was hosting it, even if they weren't aware of our outgrown situations. Alcohol. Weed. Sex everywhere. That would reason enough for them not to approve.

"Don't come home too late," my father tells me in a strictly fatherly manner, adding to the cohesiveness of parenting skills he had known sincerely since the early stages of my high school education. I open the door immediately, progressing to find out what Dryden's scholarship party would be about.

The partying had already started when I stepped onto the porch. The roar of the sound waves and the bass stated with certainty that the drinking had already begun, and judging from the teenage drama series; it would be wise to turn back and watch a docu-series on actual events at home.

However, I was already here. What would be the point now?

I intended to attend. I had tried to forget about my crush on Christian when he couldn't answer a question I had asked. He could have just said so if it wasn't a date, right? But how did I forget about the lavender haired boy? However, my hereditary awkwardness prevented me from sharing the truthful answer, so I doubted it would be that easy.

***

A variety of drinks lay on the coffee table, no doubt abandoned by the teenager drinker, in hopes that someone would finish them. I secretly vow that it wouldn't be me, and I settle for a slice of over greasy pizza instead with that thought. I scoff at the memory of when I made pizza for Christian and I shortly after he had given me the camera.

"I haven't seen you at the football games," a female voice tells me as she grabs a drink from the table next to the pizza. It was a slightly plump girl with strawberry blonde hair flowing down her face and misty green eyes behind it. My thoughts plaster my brain as I figure out what to say. I don't know this girl, nor do I know if she's trying to be nice or trying to flirt with me.

"Football isn't my thing," I told her honestly, even though I couldn't deteriorate the complete truth as to why she wouldn't see me at the football games as I skim the unlabeled drinks that surrounded the pizza, as I lowkey hoping that they're not spiked. That was the last thing I would need, and a spiked Coke or Pepsi.

Before we could continue, Hannah heard one of her friends call out, "Hannah, we're playing truth or dare." Of course, a teenage party would feature a game that can physically and mentally traumatise someone. "Dryden is playing, and we know you have a crush on him."

Although I doubted Dryden would put his other interests ahead of playing the drunken high school version of the game, Hannah seemed to have bought it as she poured a drink into one of the solo cups, heading straight for her friend. I calculated that this could only get more embarrassing for her by the end of the night or game; therefore, I decided not to partake; it would have me drunkenly divulge who I was crushing on.

Giving myself more of a tour through Dryden's house, I found players on the football team competing against each other in the game room, playing Call of Duty against each other. The scent of the vape lingers as members of the trio meet tragic ends and are shot in the neck or back, while Dryden watches and waits to see what will happen next.

As I try to escape, he sees me. Before any more of our frenemies' drama can enfold, everyone knows our drama is blowing up like a failed chemistry beaker experiment. Amid his party, I did not want to embarrass him at his own home. The unsettling feeling of not being welcome during their game had found its way to my insides.