Sun At Night

SUN AT NIGHT

I was staring at nothing when our teacher speaks "Class, these are your new classmates. Their names are Ken and Kc. Please welcome them both" I immediately turned my eyes to the two people standing in front of us. My name is Luis Guevarra and this is what I called "Sun At Night ''. "What are they doing here?" Vester whispers as Fiella asked "You knew them, Vester?" Vester nods and I look at them, Vester and Fiella are my friends. "They're my school mates when I was in junior high, they're popular there. I was wondering why they transferred here?" Vester said "Are they a couple or something? That guy is cute, isn't he?" Fiella smiles "No, they aren't" Vester said as Fiella sighs "Kc is Ken's fiancé" He added, "Huh?!" Fiella yelled then our teacher asks "What was that for Ms. Martinez?"

Lunch time came, We were sitting on the same table "Aren't you going to eat, Fiella?" I asked "Minsan na nga lang magkagusto tapos ganito pa, Luis baka naman tulungan mo ko dito" She said and start eating "Hoy Fiella tumigil tigil ka nga, Hindi nagkakagusto si Ken sa mukang tubo na papuntang ilog" Vester said and laughs "Epal ka Vester, sana hindi ka icrushback ni Chenious'' She teases him, Chenious is our school president. Nobody could beat her when it comes to acads, She's an academic monster. "Hey Vester, Luis? Chen is coming to our table'' We looked at Chen, "Mr. Guevarra, Where's your ID?" She asks "Uh- I l-left it in our room" I stuttered in response to her, "You're bad at lying, Come to guidance room right no-'' Chen was about to punish me when Kc and Ken arrived "Bad at lying? Being a good liar makes you proud? What a shame, and He's still eating Ms. Chua, didn't your parents teach you some manners?" Kc asks as Chen came closer to her "Who are you to talk to me like that?" Chen responded "You're asking this guy where the hell his ID is, while you're not wearing yours? What a hypocrite Ms. Chua '' Kc said and smirked "Wag kang mag patupad ng batas na hindi mo naman kayang sundin, Stop being so full of yourself" Kc added then Chen rolled her eyes and left.

I immediately stood up "Uh Kc, right? Thank you but you don't have to protect me like that. You might end up being i-" I cut my sentence when she laughs "I protected you? HAHAHAHA that's a funny joke, I didn't do it for you. I just don't like that kind of attitude, Where's your ID anyway?" She asks "I left it while we were on a school trip, So I had to lie all the time" I answered. "There's a sauce on your face, Ms. Martinez'' we all looked at Ken when he said it "You must wipe it or else I'd do it for you" He added "Let's go Ken, I'm starving" Both of them left after Kc dropped those words. "Narinig nyo ba yon?" Fiella start blushing "Wag ka ngang kiligin sa lalakeng ikakasal na, muka kang ipis kapag kinikilig" Vester teased Fiella ''Luis, please? I really like Ken. Maybe this is what they called love at first sight?" Vester hit Fiella's head "Love at first sight mo muka mo, basta gwapo crush mo agad" He scored 2, "Make Kc fall for you Luis, in that case she would stop being Ken's fiancé" Fiella said and start annoying me "Pls pls pls" I rolled my eyes ''Oh-hoy Fiella, you're involving me again"

After our classes, I was finding Vester and Fiella. I saw Fiella walking in the hallway "Fiella? Let's go home together" I said as she ignores me "Hey? Why are you upset?" I kept following her till she stopped walking "I'll go home alone" She said languidly "Fine, I'll do it. Stop sulking" She smiles and hugged me "You're the best Luis" Fiella stopped when I asked her something "How shall I start it?" She showed me a weird face "Nagkakagusto ang mga babae kapag lagi nilang naaalala yung lalake, you better do something unforgettable, Luis" Fiella shared and left. I was about to leave the school because it's already 6 PM when our guard called me "Oy, Section A-1 ka diba? Pakicheck ng classroom nyo kung sino pa nandon kasi nakabukas pa yung ilaw, Mag ch-check ako ng classroom mamayang 6:30. Umuwi na kayo" He said.

I went to our section so fast. I saw Kc writing something "Kc? Why are you still here? You must go home, don't you know what time it is?" I asked but she didn't care, so I went in front of her "Couldn't you hear me?" She stood up from her chair and sat on her desk after my second question. Kc holds my necktie and pushes me closer to her "Don't interfere with what I'm doing, will you?" My body began to tremble not with fear but with a strange feeling. Fiella's words entered my mind "You better do something unforgettable" I placed my right arm on the back of the chair and kissed her, I was startled when she didn't resist. "I never knew that my first kiss would be this worse" I was appalled when she said it "That was my first kiss as well, Wait- I thought you're engaged to Ken? He hadn't kissed you before?" I asked her with astonishment "Is that really necessary?" She answers "Btw, you're doing this for your friend, aren't you? We're engaged because we were on each other's sides all the time. We see each other as friends. She can take Ken away, I don't care at all".

Weeks kept passing by in our lives. That morning I was about to go up to our section when I heard Kc and Ken's voices. "Ang ganda mo naman pahug nga" Ken laughs "I'll break your arms before you hug me" Kc said grumpily "I'd like you, only if you're as adorable as Fiella" He shared "You like her, don't you?" Kc asks "It doesn't matter if I like her or not, She won't be mine anyway" I immediately act like I know nothing when Fiella and Vester arrive "Why aren't you going upstairs?" Fiella asked "You asked me to make Kc fall for me, right? I'm waiting for her" I said as she agreed.

It's Statistics time and I'm sitting next to Kc, Ken asked me to sit with her. "Luis?" She whispers "Hmm?" I ask used a lower voice "May nalaman ako tungkol sayo" I shifted my gaze to her when she said "Ano?" I asked so fast "Huy? Kc? Ano nalaman mo? Kanino mo nalaman? About saan?" Kc kept ignoring me while giggling "Kc cut the silence and tell me" I added "Mr. Guevarra, mamaya kana manligaw" Our teacher said as everyone laughed so hard, Kc looked at me while chuckling "Mamaya kana kasi manligaw, Luis" I rolled my eyes on her. 5 hrs later our classes were done, I grabbed my bag and left the room.

I was walking on the street to buy some stuff for midnight such snacks, I saw someone familiar standing at the bridge. I walked closer to her as I met Kc, "What are you doing here? It almost 8 PM" My question started the conversation, "I went to Dillei Hospital, I was waiting for someone to comeback" She said, "Who?" I asked. "Haven't I told you that I'm an orphan? My mom was a nurse at Dillei Hospital before, She said that my real mom was her patient. Kakapanganak palang ng nanay ko saken nung naaksidente kami, Naka comatose sya so mama had to look after me kasi walang relative na napunta dun sa totoo kong nanay. Nag resigned si Mama kasi kinukuha syang secretary ng pamilya nila Ken, kaya mag kasama kami simula dati pa. She was visiting my real mom everyday, hanggang sa sinabi nung isang nurse doon na gising na yung patient at may kumuha na sa kanya, Mama was wondering kung anong gagawin nya sakin but it ended up na inampon nya ko." She summarized, "Btw, It's cold here" She added and  I hugged her tightly "Why I kept liking you even tho it is sun at night for me to get you?" My tears fell.

Tomorrow morning Vester was jumping with excitement "What happened, Vester?" I asked "Well, yesterday Chen confessed her feelings for me. She even gave me her number, I told her the feelings are mutual" I was smiling until I noticed Fiella "What's the prob, Fiella?" Vester looked at Fiella as well when I asked her "I was happy for you Vester, you can marry Chen someday. Unlike me, I'm Ken's temporary happiness" Fiella's tears are falling, "I feel you, Fiella" I whispered.

Our graduation came, I hope this is not the last time I'd see Kc. I was looking for her after the ceremony, "Ken? Have you seen Kc?" I asked "She said she'd go to the library, ibabalik nya pa ata yung libro na hiniram nya" I thanked him and immediately went up to the library, I saw her putting the book back to the shelves "Ow Luis. I'm glad you're here, I'll ask you a favor. Wag kang mawawala sa kasal ko ha?" She said and smiles "Why would I come to your wedding?" I asked with resentment "Malamang, wala namang kasal na walang groom HAHAH'' She giggles "What do you mean?" I raised my left eyebrow "My mom met my real mom again, what a coincidence na tita ni Ken yung totoo kong nanay. We did DNA test and the result is positive, Mag pinsan kami ni Ken so they canceled everything about the wedding'' Our tears fall down to our cheeks, She took something from her bag and showed me an ID "I found this while we were in a school trip, I was laughing at your ID picture, so ugly. And I transferred here because of you, You're not a stranger to me Luis'' I kissed her forehead and hugged her. 

We were heading back when she suddenly asked me "Luis? You kept saying "It is sun at night for me to get you" I was wondering what does sun at night means" I stopped walking to explain something "Have ever you seen a sun at night? Hindi pa diba? Because sun at night is impossible" I told her, She held my hand and said "Pero wala namang imposible sa Diyos".