Chapter 14 - The Wall

Aslan stood stiff in front of Asya, glaring at her through narrowed eyes

Aslan stood stiff in front of Asya, glaring at her through narrowed eyes. On either side, he was flanked by two burly Moonlamps, their faces obscured by their head wraps. Even so, Asya recognised them instantly. Ruslan (who'd been joined at the hip with Aslan since birth) and Baris (whose name meant 'calm' but was anything but).

"What're you doing here, Asya?"

Don't panic, she thought. Don't react. If there was one thing she could do, it was think on her feet.

She crossed her arms, staring up at her brother from beneath her brow.

"Baba thought he needed a less 'clumsy' touch. His words, not mine."

"So why'd you dismiss the guards?"

She shrugged a solitary shoulder.

"To give him a false sense of security. I think he likes me."

Aslan seemed to shudder with frustration, clenching and unclenching his fists as he shuffled; unsure of where to go. She didn't relish the idea of weaponising their father against him, but right now she had no other choice. She gently clasped his hands until he stopped shaking and his shoulders relaxed. He exhaled and sat down on one of the crimson chairs lining the hall, rubbing his temples. She knelt beside him, nodding to Ruslan and Baris who continued down the hall.

"He treats me like I'm flippin' useless, Asya. If he could, he'd give my inheritance to a goat."

"Or an amazingly charismatic sister."

He looked at her, aghast and she playfully shoved him. He shook his head.

"He probably would, you know. If Almuluk allowed it."

She shrugged with a smile.

"I guess the world will never know."

He finally let out a grin.

She took a firmer grip of his hands, placing a palm on top.

"You're strong. You're bold. And most of all, you're dedicated to Almuluk. All the people can see that, even if Baba can't," she said.

He tenderly touched his forehead to hers, eyes closed.

"I couldn't survive this place without you, you know."

She pinched his arm.

"I know."

But you'll have to, she thought, at least until I can come back for you.

* * *

Night had long since fallen across Midnah-Dogu. Cosmic lights danced over the horizon. Keon waited alongside the tall cedar door squeezed into the corner of his room. Suddenly, the bolt squeaked its way through the latch, and the door creeped opened. He flung an arm around Asya, covered her mouth and held a finger to his lips. Popping his head into the hallway, he scanned both ends of the corridor. The coast was clear. Asya pushed his arm off and gently closed the door behind her.