Dumb, Numb, Angry

Finding a seat in a courtroom is never a fun time. I doubt anyone would think it is, but it's definitely not when you've decided to press charges against your own sister. This is an arraignment, where Emily will be called in and the judge will decide about what happens next. A decision I don't particularly want to be present for, but it appears I'm a glutton for punishment.

I seat myself in the second row behind the prosecution, not wanting to be close to Emily when she faces the judge. She's bound to come out with her best 'poor me' face and bloodshot eyes, ready to spin a story to get off with a slap on the wrist. A choreographed routine she's proficient in.

My stress level is increasing by the second, until a familiar face enters my row of seats, and drops onto the hickory bench beside me.

"Fancy seeing you here, Miss Houston."

Jokes. The guy has jokes? I glare at Brett, who looks as handsome as ever in a neatly pressed grey suit that somehow makes his bronze skin glow. That hardly seems fair. It's grey... the colour of storm clouds and ashes. I'm surprised to see him in civilian clothes, but I'm not familiar with police procedures. Whatever they may be, I appreciate them today. His presence makes me feel a little less on edge.

The smirk he wore for a split second disappears and his expression turns sombre. "How you holdin' up?"

How do I answer that? "I'm not sure. This has never been easy, and I feel terrible..." Tears pool in my eyes, so I swipe them away as a pair trickle down my cheeks. I will not cry. "But what else was I supposed to do? I can't afford to fix my house, and I'd owe money if I sold—"

"You don't have to justify your choice to me. I believe that people who do wrong—especially when it's not the first, or even second time—need to face the consequences. It shouldn't be you facing them."

"That's just it, though. It's not like she'll take her punishment, and that will be it for me. You don't know my sister. I'm going to face the consequences one way or—"

I'm interrupted by the court clerk's instructions for everyone to rise as the judge enters the room. We remain standing until we're told to sit, and the crown prosecutor addresses the judge, informing the petite woman, who is a remarkable likeness to Judge Judy, seated behind the large bench of the first case on the docket.

Emily sits at the far left of the room beside other hardened women who look as if they've either been dealt a tough hand in life, or they made it hard for themselves. It's always difficult to tell the difference, and I don't want to judge, but Emily is a hybrid. For all the times she was given a handout, she had to bite it to get ahead, only to end up fifteen steps back. Like now, for instance.

When the crown prosecutor announces Emily's charges—322 theft, 348 breaking and entering, 380 fraud, 433 arson, and 430 mischief—my eyes widen with each new infraction. She's never been charged with an indictable offense before. I look at Brett, wondering if he knew all of this, or if it's just as much a surprise to him, but his jaw is set in a rigid line, his facial expression giving nothing away.

Nerves get the better of me, and my left leg bounces. I'm desperate to rid myself of some anxious energy. This can't be happening. Fraud? Breaking and entering? I gave her my keys. Surely they can't charge her with that.

Emily stands beside a fresh-faced lawyer who looks like his mom still packs his lunches, so I'm not confident in his ability to defend her. As far as I know, for insurance, I only had to follow through with pressing charges, but if she's found not guilty, then this can all be over. Maybe she'd forgive me if the lawyer can do a good job.

I've tuned out part of the conversation between the crown prosecutor and judge, but I'm brought back to reality when Emily speaks. "Not guilty."

"Very well. I'm reluctant to release you on your own recognisance, Miss Houston. This isn't your first offence, but each time you're back here, it seems the crimes you're accused of get worse. However, I'm not inclined to hold you without cause, either. Do you have a stable residence where you can stay until your trial date?"