Chapter One: About A Girl

Closing her locker door Cassie was excited for the new semester. Sophomore year had taken a toll on her mental space, between McKay's drama, her family pitfalls, and of course, the toxic relationship between her best friend Maddy and now thankfully ex-boyfriend Nate had finally come to a halt. Cassie couldn't be happier. The first semester of her junior year was boring for the majority of it. She was taking advanced courses, recently quit her ice skating routines, and barely had time for her friends--meaning much less time to see Maddy. Despite them living together, Maddy had taken up a babysitting gig over Winter Break and was constantly working for hours on end. Whoever the family was, the pay must've been a big load for Maddy to actually tolerate a child. 

 Ever since Maddy moved in with her family, they've grown closer. Late-night talks, shared tears, all the comfort one girl could offer to another, and the love--all the love the universe Cassie could feel coursing through her veins about her best friend. Best friend--a term that felt so nuance to Cassie still, sure she's known the small-framed, eye-catching Latina girl since grade 7 but, what did a best friend mean truly? She never wanted their friendship to end but at the same time, she could feel something deeper brewing in the center of her chest. She hadn't felt with before, with any of the guys she'd dated or even crushed on. But none of that mattered because all Cassie knew was goodbye when it came to long-term commitments.