Captured Memories 2

"Eh? Is it true that Ryu's dead?"

"Yes, the school got a call from the hospital yesterday and said that he didn't make it."

I can't believe it. He's really gone. I've known Ryu since first year of junior high. The first time I saw him was at the opening ceremonies. Ever since that day, I admired him. He was so cool and... just everything. Since then, I seem to notice him everyday. His room is just across ours so whenever the bell rang, as if by fate, we'd go out at the same time, and he just smiles at me whenever he did notice me. In which the only response I could always think of was duck my head and walk as fast and as far away from him as possible. I only looked at him from afar. I've never talked to him. I never became friends with him. I couldn't get any closer because he's popular and I'm not. I also didn't have the guts to. It's as if he's in a place where I can't reach. I admired him, and I guess it was only the right decision. I don't want to get into a mess with the other girls who try to "befriend" him. Either way, I know he does not want to talk to someone like me. I'm that person that no one bothers to know about.

The bell rang signaling that it's time to go home already. As I was about to stand, some guy bumped into me and that made me sit back again. My butt hurts.

"Oh, sorry about that Tomoko."

"Kenji, it's Tomoyo, not Tomoko."

"Oops. Sorry 'bout that again."

"Man, we're classmates, you should know her name."

"Sorry dude, it's just that she really has a weak impression towards everyone. She rarely speaks you know."

See what I mean? And I can hear you guys.  At least the other dude knows my name, somehow. Sighing, I made my way out of the classroom.

I decided to stay by my favorite spot: under the cherry blossom tree.

It is the biggest cherry blossom tree here in town, I guess, because I've never seen any tree bigger than this. This is the place where I usually take pictures. I just love taking photographs. I love how you can capture a moment and keep it with you all the time. I love the idea on how nothing changes in that small, rectangular image, on how you can relieve the moment again and again. The tree is located over the cliff and it has an overview of the river. When the sun rises and sets, the place just seems to have a life of its own and transform into something surreal.

Then it reminded me of Ryu.

Maybe he wanted to have a picture with this view. I said in my mind. It really suits his cool and caring personality. I really don't know why I've thought of this. I took my camera and took some shots while pushing the absurd idea at the back of my mind.

As I was taking shots, I suddenly noticed a figure behind the other cherry blossom tree.

Oohh, I didn't know that someone other than me likes to stay in this place.

Then I saw him and I think I know him. He's Ryu's bestfriend, Lee. They're always together and I think they've know each other for God knows how long.

Then, I saw another person. It took me some time before I realized who it was.

"RRRRYYYYYYUUUUU!!!!!!!"

I shouted. I was in total shock. He was supposed to be dead right?!!?!

"Wait, you can see him?!"

Lee asked with a shock also written on his face. The I made a  duh-of-course-I-can-see-him face.

"Of course I can see him. He's Ryu right?! And he's dead right?! I mean, he really is... but he's here, so he really is not dead???!!! But he is. They said he is. Everone's talking about it. But he is, or not? But yes," I blurted out. Oh my gosh, I really can't believe this.