The System

Introduction

If you’re looking for an adventure then I’m afraid to say you’re looking in the wrong place. If you’re looking for a hero, then you should look elsewhere, because Emily Wood had never done anything slightly interesting or out of the ordinary, ever. Which is why, exactly one week after she turned eighteen, she walked right out of her parents’ house, set to do something interesting, much to her parents’ disappointment. They would have much preferred she did the usual, ordinary things.

Unfortunately, things wouldn’t be going the way her parents’ wanted because from around the age of fifteen, Emily Wood had decided that she hated uniformity, and what she called ‘the system’. ‘The system’ was the process which most people went through: school, work, retirement, and death. It was government, it was anything which made civilisation, and it was everything which any ordinary person would deem a success.

But Emily Wood was far from ordinary; she didn't want to just leave school, go to work and have the same plain, boring existence as nearly everyone else in the world did - no surprises involved. Sometimes, Emily wished she was born a gypsy, like in the books she read, or that she was one of the characters in her stories and could go on wild adventures which took her far away from the tedious place known as reality.

But as I said before, this is no place for adventure, and Emily Wood knew that too. So she went for the closest thing she could reach: escape of the system. The problem with this was that her whole life had been made around the system, it was her foundation. How could she just grab her things and leave? Well, that is exactly where I’m going to start in our little record of Miss Emily Wood’s not so adventurous, but most certainly different existence.