Ch.2 First Steps

"Good news, your son will be relaeased today. You can take him back home now."

What the doctor thought was happy news was more worrisome since it meant Izuku couldn't be protected by the blissful ignorance of the hospital walls. Inko didn't know how to feel about her son facing the outside world again. He said he was okay with it, but she knows to take what he says with a grain of salt.

Izuku on the other hand -even though he was just released from the hospital- was okay. He felt okay. His heart didn't feel empty, and his thoughts were little to none. He was feeling pretty good. He didn't quite understand why.

When on his way home he had a pleasant walk with his mom. They didn't talk much but they held each other's hand. He looked at the world a bit differently today. It was pretty. The leaves began to grow again and little buds of flowers appeared. The breeze felt nice and it seemed like it would rain again by night fall. Izuku liked the rain. So did his mother. They would enjoy the rain together when he was younger.

Izuku's mom stopped by the super market to pick up some groceries. He helped. He stuck close to her as if he was a child. He felt like one today.

"What would you like to eat for dinner?" She asked not being able to decide herself.

"Katsudon?" He offered.

She smiled patting his head. He had to lowered himself so she could reach. "Kastudon it is."

On the walk home they split the groceries and the continued to hold each others hands.

"I'm sorry mom."

"I'm sorry too"

Upon arriving he helped her make dinner and they both ate having a nice conversation. It didn't seem like he was released from a hospital. There was no tension. Then the rain began to pour and they both enjoyed it. Both mother and son fell asleep together. This might have been the best day of their lives.

———

The next day Izuku with the help of his mother began to rearrange their home. Everything was the same since he was young and it was time for change. He rearranged his room and they even brought in some new furniture. Nothing too much just something to spruce up the place. Inko had full real conversations with her son and she was glowed with joy. By the time night came the house looked brand new. Every inch and corner was sparkling clean, but they forgot to make dinner so then ended buying a lot of food from the convenient store and had a feast.

On the third day Izuku had nothing to do. He had this whole week off from school because of his "medical emergency". He wasn't bored per say but he had no idea what he should do. It was the first time he was able to freely enjoy doing whatever he wanted, but what was there to do? There was no responsibility weighing him down. The first thing he thought to do was test out was his quirk. But doing that at home might lead to him burning the place down. So he decided to start by doing some physical training.

But that was harder then expected. He could barely do 5 push-ups. So he thought it would be good to start slow and work his way up. So running in the morning, a small basic work out routine and some research on physical education. The average teen's routine.

On the fourth day he found a nice empty place by the trashed beach to test out his quirk and record the results. Aim, strength, control, and speed, he tried his best to test and surpass the limits of his quirk. With that his week went by without much trouble.

Maybe because he wasn't thinking much or because he didn't think about the things that would trouble him, his week off went well. He kept those thoughts far away and only focused on himself and mom. He was only able to because no one was there to remind him.