~18~

Fundy was sitting in Dream's lap, staring wide-eyed at the small pup that Dream was helping him hold. The older pup didn't know where he was supposed to put his hands, not wanting to hurt the small life, but Dream had told him that he wouldn't hurt her, and pressed one hand to the top of her head while the other played with her small chubby fingers.

"It's a baby." He mumbled quietly in astonishment, completely still.

"It's a baby," Dream confirmed sweetly, calm in the pup's presence. "Her name is Aster."

Fundy looked up at him quizzingly. "Aster?"

"It's a type of flower," Dream explained, swiping his thumb across his daughter's foot. "They're really pretty. We can go pick some later once George wakes up, okay?"

He nodded, childish and happy. "Okay. Can we make a flower crown? We could give it to Aster! Or George! Or both!"

"That's a great idea," Dream encouraged, smiling gently. "I'm sure they'll love it."

While Dream and the small pup fawned over the sleeping baby, they were oblivious to the sudden irregular breathing of the omega resting beside them, or the way his eyelids fluttered for a moment.

George slowly felt himself being pulled back to consciousness, an empty feeling in his chest. Something was missing – a certain weight. He longed for it, craved it.

His vision was blurred when he tried to open his eyes, a dull ache thudding in the back of his head. There was a harsh cramping that spread from his lower back and across his abdomen, settling to the sore spot between his legs, and he tried to hold back his groan, remembering what happened.

He had his pup.

Something bad must have happened after his delivery that he wasn't aware of, and he quickly realised that he must have been passed out for some time, because George recognised that they were back in the comfort of Bad's guest room, tucked kindly under the covers. That, and the fact that there was a small, sweet voice that George didn't recognise, and he tilted his head just slightly, catching the sight of fluffy copper hair. His heart swelled at the sight of a young pup. George loved children.

He breathed deeply, trying to remain awake and conscious despite the pounding behind his eyes. There was a quiet whimper, barely louder than George's breathing, and the small sound made George more awake than he ever thought he'd be, replaying the sound over and over in his mind until it was engraved in his long-term memory forever.

There was a small baby bundled in blankets against the unfamiliar pup, who was being supported by none other than Dream himself. George observed them for a moment, his heart warming at how Dream sweetly talked to the pups, and the omega knew right away that he was going to be a great father.

George realised that if he died, Dream would be able to look after their small family without him. His mate would manage when he's gone. It was a soothing thought to George – knowing that Dream would protect their family if George wasn't there anymore. He hoped it would remain that way in the future.

But right now, George wanted to hold his pup. It felt as if his heart wasn't beating when he wasn't with his baby.

"D-Dream . . ?"

The weak murmur instantly made the alpha in the room freeze, and he turned to George quickly, eyes wide and heart thudding in his chest. George caught sight of the shocked and worried look in those emerald pools, but was too distracted by the innocent face of a toddler and a small infant before George could give the worried alpha a smile of reassurance. He was fine. He swore.

Dream dived into George, embracing him as best as he could while not crushing the pups or leaning too harshly on the recovering omega. He was so happy to see that the brunette was finally awake and coherent after convincing himself a day ago that he was going to watch his mate die. He couldn't imagine a world without George. If the omega left this world, then a part of Dream's heart would die with him, too – all of it. "George!"