Part 2

Sometimes love can be the biggest bitch anyone knows. Take me for example, I'm on a date with the person that I asked to be set up with by the guy who I really love. I keep asking him to set me up hoping that one day he will get jealous and ask me out. But he hasn't. Part of me always wondered if he even liked me, or if he secretly hated me, I mean, who can hang out with a girl and get her dates while being in love with her. It would drive him to insanity.

"So I guess you didn't really want to do this?" my date asked, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Of course I did..." I trail of as I stumble for his name.

"John, my name is John."

"I knew that." I say as I try to put on a confident smile to sell the lie.

John sighed, "I'm going to be honest here, and I know you don't like me so I think that we should just end this date here." He said as he got up, dropped a check on the table, and walked out of the restaurant.

I sigh and check the time. It was too early to call Sam and tell him what happened. I drained my glass of water before walking out. I made a decision to walk home, rather than call someone to pick her up. It was only a few blocks to her house after all.

When I got home my feet were aching and I was tired and wet because it had started to rain, but all the same I called Sam.

"Hello?"

The phone rang a few times before he picked up. "Hey Sam" I said, forcing happiness into my voice.

"How did it go" He asks

I try to make myself sound happy, "Great, he even asked me on a second date." I lie, trying to get a response out of him.

"Fantastic!" He says unconvincingly.

My mind goes into over drive at how sad he sounded, "Is he unhappy that John asked me out?" then it screams, "Does he like me!"

I needed to think this over. "Sorry, I have to go. See you later?" I ask.

"Of course, you need to tell me everything." He says, his moment of unhappiness gone.

As he hangs up, I think back to the obvious sadness in his voice. I knew I wasn't imagining it, but if it was from my going out again, I would be ecstatic. Not that he was sad but because he might like me.

I go to my kitchen and get a drink of water before changing and heading to bed.

In the morning I get up and do the usual morning rituals, after that I feel a strange urge to see Sam. So I grab my keys, get in the car, and drive over to his house, forgetting to eat. When I get there, I use the spare key that he gave me a while back to get in once I realize that it's still locked. When I get in, I hear no Sam and when I take a peek into his bedroom, he was still passed out. I hear my stomach rumble so I open up his fridge and I find eggs. I crack a few open and start to scramble them. After a bit of this, I open his pantry up and pull out a loaf of bread and put a few pieces in the toaster. While I am doing this, the eggs begin to burn slightly. I reach over and mix them up some more, saving them. But I hear a muttered "Shit." Right before Sam appears at the door frame.