Chapter 31

Cove

So I've been in a random room in the Cruz household for a few hours.

Ki is here. Mami is too. As well as a couple of caretakers.

Jakarri and Dalton are in the hall bothering us because this woman won't allow us to see each other.

"Dalton. You have a phone you know?" I say tired of this yelling back and forth.

"If you wanted me to leave you could've said that-"

"Don't you have stuff to do!"

"I've showered. I have on my pants. I have combed my hair-"

"Go get a haircut." I say.

"I thought you liked my hair..." he sounds disappointed.

"Yes..."

"Then?"

Akila cuts in. "When you see how she looks you are gonna wanna wish you stepped your game up so, not so cutie go get a damn haircut!"

"I've never been to a barber before." He admits.

"Jakarri!"

"Already on it, dude let's get you done right." We hear them walk away.

I have been forced to grow out my hair. I usually kept it just under my collarbone but now it's down my back.

"You know I could've just gotten extensions?" I say.

"Babes. Please be authentic. You have the hair. Just grow it. You can cut it tomorrow if it's bothering you that much."

I very much will.

Okay so a lot is going on right now. There are people doing my hair. My nails. My makeup. Another is steaming my dress even though it doesn't need to happen.

Ki is going through a similar process.

Mami is chilling in a chair. Reading a magazine.

I speak with her. "Mami?"

"Mija?"

"Did you go to prom?"

"Yes." She simply says but I want a story.

"Tell me about it?"

"Not much happened. I was prom queen because I was a regular popular girl-"

"Dalton told me you were a pageant queen." Ki says and I gasp, jerking in my seat slightly, receiving a tiny scold from the ladies working on me.

"Okay yes. I was a pageant queen. I thought Daltino gave you a tour? The trophy room is near the pool..."

"No. He didn't show me... I haven't been here in a while. You literally banished me so Dalton and I can't hangout with each other."

"You needed buildup for prom. You're welcome."

"You just said you were the popular girl who was basically a model!"

"Let me tell you a pretty face sells. A smart mind scares. I have the perfect mix of both. And so do you Mija."

"Business is so much work." I groan.

"At the beginning yes. Now? I choose my dates. My deadlines. My workers. It's worth it. Especially when I have the best business partner in the world."

"You know you and your husband seem a little predictable." Ki starts.

"How so?"

"He was the quiet smart guy no?"

"Yes..."