The Morganian's Return

As the last guest finished up their speech for the newlyweds, Becky made her way over to the podium, thanking them before taking the mic. "I'd like to thank everyone again for coming all this way to celebrate and for all your kind words." She said, the crowd applauding. It was clear Becky had been crying through most of the speeches, her cheeks stained red. All the words of advice, stories, and general wishes for a bright future warmed her heart with joy for her next chapter in life with Dave. Her mother stood beside her, comforting her daughter as she continued,

"I would like to end the night with a special speech for my husband Dave by a man who has truly changed his life for the better and has been a close mentor to Dave since college. Balthazar, if you're ready." She announced. The audience applauded once more as the man in question stood up, his posture reserved as he made his way to the podium. Dave was shocked, Balthazar typically did his best to keep himself out of the public eye or any social interactions that weren't necessary.

Balthazar stood in front of the podium, to most, he seemed relaxed but if you looked closely you could see the tension in his shoulders, the smile was more of a reaction of nerves than a true smile. It has been a long time since Balthazar has had to speak to a crowd. Yet, to even his own disbelief, as he began his speech, the nerves disappeared. He became more comfortable in his words, only struggling to keep himself composed emotionally as he talked about how much Dave has accomplished. Even Dave wasn't able to keep a few tears from spilling after hearing his mentor speak about him with such pride and gratification of having Dave as his apprentice.

"As I close off with my final words, if there is one thing I want Dave to take away from all my old man garble is..." The crowd laughed at his light joke, not noticing his once confident tone faltering as he looked up from the podium feeling a strong and dark magical presence hit him. His eyes scanned the crowd, locking on a bright jeweled cane top, Horvath. The man in question stood in the back of all the tables, gone unnoticed by anyone but Balthazar. That dreadful smirk curled on his lips as he gave an insincere wave as if they were old pals.

Balthazar cleared his throat, the crowd becoming confused by his sudden pause. The last thing he wanted to do was ruin Dave's wedding by addressing Horvath which would surely turn into a battle soon after. He gathered his thoughts, he needed to finish.

"One thing I want Dave to take away is that even when you see the dark on the horizon, you are never without light when you stay true to yourself." He finished, the crowd giving a standing applause as he hurried off the stage and gave the mic back to Becky. He was unable to focus on what Becky started to say, keeping his eyes locked with Horvath who ushered him over. His breath was ragged, two years of searching and finding nothing only for him to appear right under their noses, at Dave's wedding no less. Horvath was one for dramatics but this was low, even for him. He needed to get Horvath away from the guests, he wouldn't allow Horvath to ruin Dave's one night of normalcy.

"Balthazar?" He heard Becky call out. He turned, seeing her alongside Dave and Veronica catch up with him. They could tell something was wrong but had yet to see the severity of the situation. As Veronica neared she felt the wave of dark magic wave over her, snapping her attention towards where Horvath stood. Balthazar could feel it once more, Horvath likely using a spell to cover his presence but it was wavering. Dave and Becky follow her gaze, Becky turning sheet white while Dave looked physically sick. Dave turned towards Balthazar, reaching into his pocket to grab his ring,

"What is he doing here?" He asked, his voice tense.

"I don't know why but I suggest you put that away unless you want everyone here involved," Balthazar commanded, any hint of his typical soft demeanor gone. Dave nodded, putting it back.

"I'll guide the guests away from here. Please, stay safe." Becky said, giving Dave a quick kiss with worried eyes. Dave nodded, squeezing her hand before she ran off to the podium announcing there was a chance of a short drizzle and that they could take cover in the main building till it passed.