"Doubt Who?"

"Maybe it's the way they're built to take on anything in the world. Maybe it's the look in their eyes. All you see is pure beauty," I spoke from memory as Antonio held the paper.

"Why must you get into your feelings Aria?" Antonio asked me.

"My grandmother says that in most countries, if not all, a lioness symbolizes power. They're one of a kind and signifies royalty."

"So what exactly is your point? The assignment was to relate an animal to yourself. You cannot go into class with such junk." Antonio stated, tossing the loose piece of paper out of his hands. He didn't even let me finish before he started his judging.

"I'll have something. You should go, it's late and you have a curfew."

"Rewrite Aria. I'm sorry to say but you will get an F if you present that mess." I listened to him until finally telling him okay. For some reason he always doubted my work and I hated being doubted. I pondered his words. I was going to ace this assignment and prove him wrong.

...

"Lionesses symbolize power. They have courage and are ferocious at times. They protect. I'm not really ferocious but I get really mad at times. Someone once told me that they felt as if I was their guardian angel. Let me tell you now that in ancient Greece, lionesses were viewed as guardians. They have wisdom and I hold such. When you think of a lion you think of men. A woman could be just as powerful. Women are superior as well, naturally dominate, self accepting, they embody self-love, and we master emotion. A lioness is an African descendant and the female lion speaks of pride." The class applauded, as well as my teacher but I wasn't quite done yet.

"My grandmother once told me that it was not what other people saw you as. It is what you see in yourself. I picked the lioness because of its eyes. A lions eye is the sun and gold. As a soon to be woman I know my own nobility, as does the lioness. I see myself in the Lionesses Eye." The class filled with the noise of applause. I saw Antonio clapping and he winked at me. Well, after he picked his bottom lip up off of the ground. I smiled.

"Great job Aria. Speak to me after class. You have inspiring words that I am sure the poetry club would love to hear. Maybe even the whole school." I told my teacher I would before walking to my desk with my head held high. I sure am a Lioness.