Untitled Part 13

Bi-Han POV:

Something feels... wrong. An agitation brewing within me, like something scratching at the back of my skull that I cannot quite place, nor quell.

It refuses to pass, only growing stronger in the passing seconds as I shake my head to focus on the task at hand.

Shang Tsung expects results, and my ... arrangement... with him has continued to be mutually beneficial thus far, both to his plan and the wishes of the Lin Kuei. My duties must take priority in my own mind but... even as I say this, I feel my jaw clench of its own accord.

I let out a slow exhale, closing my eyes briefly to recenter myself.

Her face flashes across my vision, usually a source of calm for me, however, it suddenly becomes painfully obvious...

The bond... she has allowed it to grow, become stronger, deeper, connecting us further.

This agitation, burning into the beginnings of rage tickling beneath my skin like an itch that I cannot quite scratch... it is not my own, but hers.

I stand hastily, forgetting all else in the wake of my revelation to seek out her location.

She is in the temple, of course, however I have no way of entering anywhere of use other than the open half of her chambers. Which ... proves to be less than useful, as the moment I step through the shadows, I find the room to be empty.

My own agitation growing, coupling with hers, mixing with impatience as I helplessly pace back and forth, unable to keep from staring at the door – willing her to walk through it...

Something stirs, an awakening force somewhere in the depths of my chest, the anger increasing but this is... more than that.

I unclench my fists, not even remembering when I had done so, removing my mask and tossing it to the table unceremoniously before letting out a deep exhale that is much too akin to a groan of annoyance than I would care to admit.

I do not like this.

The uncertainty of it all; my emotions running so near the surface, uncontrolled as I pace with nothing to do but wait. I cannot reach her...

To feel so helpless is... not something I am used to, nor do I ever want to be used to it.

My teeth begin to ache, reminding me to relax my jaw as I hastily undo my top layer of armor, allowing it to drop to the floor before I clasp my hands behind my back and continue pacing. The movement does nothing to help, of course, but it is the only thing that I can do other than stare desperately at the door – which has still remained closed.

This barrier, shimmering along the edges, proving to be more of a problem than I had ever considered. A problem to be further examined... a solution would need to be found, and soon.

I will have to speak with Shang –

The door...

She slams it shut behind her, pressing her forehead against the wood with a sigh.

I rush forward, getting as close as the barrier allows, "My love..." I call out to her, not wanting to startle her, but needing to see her, to know she is unharmed, "are you alright? I could feel something was wrong... I had no way to get to you within the barrier."

"No," she mumbles, her voice cracking as she turns to press her back against the door, sliding down into a crumpled sitting position to hide her face in her hands.

I can feel the mixed emotions rolling off of her in waves, my own helplessness increasing, "what is wrong? my love... please, speak to me. Are you hurt?"