Chapter 6

"B...Bu...But..." Essie shakes her head as if clearing it. "No way! I checked and double checked all my work! It's impossible to break that net!"

Lamia laughs cruelly. "True, your silly net was alright. That's why I didn't break it."

"Huh?" Essie asks, genuinely confused.

I barely hear them. All I can see is Chuck being slowly choked to death in front of me. He looks at me with terrified, pleading eyes. This is all my fault...

How did everything go so wrong?

"I used magic, dear. You would know that if you didn't doze off in my class so much, Esperanza." Lamia replies.

Magic.

I'm snapped out of my trance. How could I have been so stupid?! Celestial bronze would be strong enough to contain most monsters; but Lamia is a daughter of Hecate, goddess of magic. Of course, she could use magic.

"You literally teleported yourself out?!" I pound my fist on the wall in frustration. "You monsters are getting more ridiculously overpowered every day!"

"Ah, but I'm not. Though your comment is flattering, there are ways to defeat magic. You simply weren't well enough prepared, dear. Perhaps you weren't bright enough to know how to handle me, or more likely you were too arrogant and busy playing hero to think straight. Either way, I'm done toying with you. Perhaps if you stay put, I'll come back and finish you off after my other work is done."

She turns to go and notions to Chuck, still in her grip. "I wouldn't try anything else dears. Your net was cute, but this isn't a game. Get in my way again and the satyr will die."

Before I can blink, they're gone. I stare after them down the hallway in the direction Lamia left.

It takes me a few seconds to realize Essie is staring at me. She looks terrified. I turn to face her, but can't meet her eyes.

"Se...Selena..?" She gulps. "What do we do?" She stutters, looking at me expectantly.

I take a deep breath. I led Essie and Chuck into this mess; I have to lead them out. It's not too late to win. Not too late to show everyone what we're capable of. The plan has just been altered a bit.

"We tail her." I say, surprisingly calm.

Essie looks at me in shock. "What about Chuck? She said she'd kill him!"

"We have to distract her somehow. Give her a reason to drop him." I clench my fist. "Then she's ours."

Essie nods. "Ok! How do we distract her?"

I start running down the hall after Lamia, Essie right behind me. "I'll figure it out when we get there."

Essie pales a bit, but doesn't comment.

******

Following Lamia wasn't hard. A large snake in a hurry creates a lot of destruction. Essie and I just had to follow the trail of ripped posters, busted water fountains and smashed doors.

We find Chuck's red baseball cap in front of the doors to the gymnasium. Essie quietly picks it up and slips it into her backpack, trying to hold back tears.

"Selena..." Essie whispers. "She's in there...You have to tell me what to do."

I bite my lip and think. An idea comes to me. "You're going to create a fire around her." I say.

Essie pretends to clean out her ears so she can hear my better. 'I'm gonna make a what?"

"You can do it, Essie. We've inherited powers from our parents. I can control water like my dad." I say, getting impatient. "Your dad can control fire, so I'm sure you can too."

Essie looks even more scared then before. "I don't know if I can do it Selena! What if we go in there and it doesn't work? Or worse, what if I can do it but I can't control it?" She holds up her hands in a stop motion. "I'm not comfortable with this Selena. Make a new plan." She bites her lip nervously.

I scowl at her. "I can control the water to put it out if it goes wrong. You want to save Chuck, don't you? If you don't just listen to me he's gonna die! Unless you want him to-"

"No!" She says. She gawks at me. She's on the verge of tears. "Selena, I'm scared, I'm not strong enough to do that! I want to help him though!" She protests.

"I don't have time for fear. If you wanted to save Chuck's life, you'd at least try to do whatever it takes." I open the door to the gym.

"Wait!" Essie grabs my arm, wide eyed. "What are you doing?"

I shrug her off. "I'm going in alone. You can join me when you decide you want to help."

I enter the gym and leave her gaping in the hallway.