1

"oh damn she actually came back"
"I thought she killed herself"
"is she okay?"
"didn't expect her to show up"

The whispers surrounded her as she walked through the hallways of the school. It was her first time coming to school after 2 weeks despite repeated requests from her teachers and friends.
It was her first time coming to school after 2 weeks. After her mother died. Rather, after her mother was murdered.

She walked through the hallways as someone snatched her hand, harshly pulling her into the library.
"oh you finally show up. You ignored me, you bitch. For 2 weeks. What did I tell you would happen."
She simply stared at the ground.

Until a sharp slap struck her cheek.
She looked straight into his eyes with a dead look.
"what are you gonna do. My mom's dead. There's nothing you can do to her now."
Was all she said before walking away, leaving behind a dumbfounded man. He ran up to her and pulled her back into the library.
"where'd you get all that courage from huh. Don't show me that attitude"
"we're done."
"no we're not"
"yes we are. Leave me alone."
And she walked away with a singular red cheek and bruising in the place he touched her.

The boy's eyes burnt fire as he looked at her walk away. He had no power over her anymore. Not only had she broken their relationship off, his leverage, her mother, wasn't there anymore either. His reign over her was over.

You see, the girl, kang daeun, was an only child until the age of 4. When her brother was born. However, the happiness didn't last long as he came out to be stillborn. Therefore, once again, making her a single child. Her father passed away due to an accident 5 days later. It was just her mother and her for 14 years. But, lucky for them, her parents were both rich enough and they had just the right amount of luxury, and if another person were to live with them, they wouldn't have the same lifestyle, but it was more than enough to support them both.

Her mother, Kang sieun, was a therapist, often taking counselling sessions in her school, therefore the kids knew her very well. She was known to be a student favorite because of her charming and kind personality. Her mother raised daeun well, and took care of her. But 5 days ago, one of her patients lost control and stabbed sieun twice in the neck and thrice in the stomach. The doctors and security trying to stop him also had been stabbed but all of them survived but her.

The man was put in a mental facility. As mad and sad she was, she understood that the man wasn't well enough to think rationally and snapped. Her parents had  had a runaway marriage as their parents didn't support their relationship. Her father being an orphan didn't have any family, and her mother was cut off from the family, and so we're all her connections and contacts. Daeun hadn't even seen her mother's family, ever. It was probably better that way.