That Window

Dolce Far Niente. The sweetness of nothing. Everyday after school I ran home, went straight to the kitchen, grabbed my snacks, headed to the rooftop of the house, and just watched the sunset. I enjoyed the sweetness of watching the sky turn from baby blue to yellow, then pink, then purple, with that burst of orange from the clear sky leak across the town. The innocence of doing nothing but the enjoyment of loneliness. Being in a small town but an hour from the city has its perks, like watching the sunset with no buildings blocking the beautiful view. This became an everyday ritual of mine for two years now ever since one of closest friends moved to the states. I miss her. She would join me up here every day, talk about boys, the high school gossip, she was my ride or die. Her long, dark brown hair, and baby blue eyes caught the attention of every boy in our school. But her sweet voice and down to earth personality is what had me love her.

      As I sat here watching the sun disappear into the sky I hear people talking on the other side of the house. I get up and take a peak over the balcony, "New neighbors I guess" I whisper to myself while I watch as this tall, lean, tan, girl with the prettiest long blonde hair I have ever seen get out of a this black SUV. She looks about my age. As I watch a bit longer I see him, he seems to be talking with his father. "Wow" I think, "Definitely got his looks from his dad". But something interrupts my eavesdropping, 

"Tay, dinners ready, Vieni a mangiare! (come eat!)" it's my mother. 

"Shit." I whisper under my breath. "In arrivo! (coming!)" 

     Going down the stairs I start to think more about him. Who is he? As I sit at the table with my mother, father, and my nona I ask, "Who are the new neighbors?"

"Those are the Ferreros, they came from the city", she replied.

    I just sat there and didn't ask anymore questions, but I couldn't help but think, why would they move here? More importantly, who was that boy. I saw him for only ten seconds, why am I so stuck on him. But something about him left me curious. After dinner I went to my room to work on homework, put my headphones in, and typed away. One thing that I love about my English class is writing. Writing made me happy, I got to explore my fantasy's, more importantly I got to explain things how I want. That's what makes the author in control of how the story line plays out. Mrs. Biagani gave us the privilege to write about something that happened in our past. Something. You can choose anything from something, happiness, sadness, anger. You're in control on how you want the story. I finish about three paragraphs and call it a night.

     I get in my pajamas, my silky purple top with lace in it, with my matching purple lace thong, and take a look into the lit up street by lights and look over at my new neighbors house. Sitting, wondering those questions I had. More thinking later, I see a shadow open the blinds illuminating from the window. It's him. He's in white briefs, from what I could tell, Calvins, with his hand on the side of the window, starring at me. The rooms pitch black but his body is lit up from the street lamp. I sit there starring, after what seems a minute of eye contact, I close my blinds, turn off my lamp and lay in bed. I laid there thinking,

What's the coincidence that he's right there?

It's almost like he knew I was there already, was he watching me?

      I shot up. I must've dozed off last night. I look at the time and realize I have thirty minutes to get ready for school. I stretch and go to my window and open the blinds, take another look out my window and stare at his window again for a brief second and turn to go to my closet. "What do I wear today? I haven't done a load of laundry in a week." I say to myself starring deep into my closet. I get so nervous because I am known as the 'Queen of Fashion' Sense at my school. I pull out a black, short sleeve turtle neck, dark chocolate brown jeans, black Doc Martins, and put the outfit together. Always accessorize, layered necklaces, earrings, and rings. After accessories I start straightening my long black hair, and stare into the mirror figuring out what eyeshadow would pull the attention of my milky, bright green eyes. Black or purple always make them look brighter than they are, smokey eye again it is.