Chapter 9. Ursool

AS FAR AS WITCH'S HOUSES went, Aaron was not impressed. Wattle walls, a thatched roof, a small porch, and several windows set at either side of a rickety door hardly qualified as the most modest of hunter's lodges, let alone the sinister abode of a wicked, child-eating crone. Nevertheless, its aged presence, out here in the middle of nowhere, with those trees closest to it bent away as if in agony, inspired a sense of dread. Aaron half-expected to see the skeletal remains of the witch's meals or victims of some dire spellcraft dangling from the porch's overhang. There was no such thing, though, nor anything else to distinguish the place as a witch's lair. With the faintest glow shining from the windows and the curl of wood smoke rising from the stone chimney, the place almost seemed inviting.

Master Rhe mounted the porch first. As he knocked on the door, Aaron stood beside him to get out of the rain. Even with the door closed, he detected a trio of pungent odors coming from inside: a musty staleness, something not unlike cow dung, and a flowery fragrance that, unfortunately, was the least of the three. The door creaked open, though no one stood there to greet them. Master Rhe entered without hesitation. Aaron followed, though cautiously.

Gloom dominated the single-roomed interior. The only light was a fire glowing within a hearth set at the far wall. Ensel Rhe went to it straightaway. Aaron, however, thinking an initial perusal of the room's interior more prudent, was just looking about when a voice startled him.

"Come in, come in," the voice said from a darkened corner. "Come in and warm yourself. No need to be afraid."

Aaron stared at the corner while the rain made a quiet pitter-patter on the roof. While he saw the outline of a woman there, busy at some task, he could not make out her features. The voice had not sounded old, nor had there been any cackling. Not so far, at least.

It being rude to stand there and do nothing, especially with an open door behind him, Aaron closed the door tight and then inched inside. He hadn't quite made it to the fire when the witch stepped from the shadows to join the eslar, who had already removed his wet coat and draped it over the hearth. She had her back to Aaron as she busied herself examining the contents of two pots hanging over the fire. Still, Aaron noted auburn hair that fell in a sheet across her back and that her feet were bare. She wore a dark wool robe tied at the waist by a simple rope. She did not look particularly threatening so far.

Master Rhe took off his gloves and tossed them before the fire, then he pulled one of two bench seats located at either side of a long table closer, sat, and began removing his muddy boots.

"It would have been nice if you'd taken those off before traipsing mud all over my house, Ensel," said Ursool. Definitely no cackles. Just a smooth, melodious overture that Aaron found surprisingly pleasant.

Ensel Rhe didn't say anything, but once he had his boots off, found a rag and began wiping mud from the wood floor. Aaron glanced over his shoulder to see his contribution to the mess. He instantly and instinctively stammered out an apology. Witch or not, he'd been taught proper manners.

"I'm sorry, ma'am. I didn't mean to—"

Still busy at her pots, Ursool laughed. It filled the room with a flutter of gaiety as she waved a hand in dismissal. "It's no bother," she said from over one shoulder. "Let Ensel clean up the mess. You, come warm yourself." She returned one of the lids to its respective pot, then finally turned to face him.

If Aaron hadn't already stopped, he would have now, for every tale he'd heard describing witches as stooped-over, gangly old hags, wart-ridden, gray-haired, and sallow-skinned, who hissed, spat, and cackled after every spoken outburst, was wrong. Ursool had no bow to her back. Her skin was smooth and fresh, her features delicate. She smiled, revealing flawless teeth. Eyes, perfectly matched to the color of her auburn hair, shined with vitality and warmth. She was, in a word, beautiful.