𝐢𝐢.

chapter two
death in the family

chapter twodeath in the family

———

I've never believed in destiny.

No, my story was not written amongst the stars. My future was not set in stone.

Maybe if it was my life would be easier. Maybe my sister's life would e easier. Bonnie is bright, selfless, and compassionate, but most of all she's truthful. She deserved a life better than the one given to her, and I was gonna make sure my sister wanted for nothing.

"Grams used to say, 'Death isn't the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.' I never understood what she meant, and I don't think I ever will." Sniffling, Bonnie manages to continue. "I loved Grams more than anything. She was my mom, my dad, and my best friend. Grams raised me."

From the crowd, Lucy and I could be seen giving Bonnie encouraging smiles. Delivering the eulogy was something she wanted to do and Lucy and I both supported that.

"She helped make me into the woman I am today, I can only hope that when I see her again I've made her proud." Turning towards the casket, Bonnie smiles sadly before whispering, "I love you, Grams."

Funerals are hard, but losing a loved one is even harder. Learning how to navigate through life, all over again without that person with you. Grief is harsh. Bonnie returned to her seat between me and Lucy, we listened as Gram's friend came up and said nice things about her.

This past week made me realize how happy I was to be with my sister. I hated Mystic Falls as much as any sane person, but I loved my family more than anything. The first thing I did was move my sister out of our dad's house and into Grams'. We've been renovating, trying to make the house more Bennett Chic.

This week has been hell, but we went through it together.

------

We decided to hold the wake and the funeral on the same day. As a family, we decided it would be best to get it all out of the way. And none of us had a big enough social battery to deal with people on two separate days so we made it one.

Bonnie, Lucy, and I stood as a unit greeting guests and accepting their condolences all while counting down the seconds until it was time for them all to leave.

God, I wish Grams was here. She had the patience of a saint.

Rudy managed to make his way here, but he made it a point not to say anything to us. I know he wanted to, but if funny-looking ass came over here I'm knocking him clean the fuck out. Simple as that.

"M-maybe, I should say something to him," Bon spoke lowly so only myself and Lucy could hear. "Explain why I left the house."

"You have nothing to explain," I said, sharing a look with Lucy, and not even five seconds later our darling cousin was leading our scumbag father out of the wake. Good fucking riddance.