Chapter 7 ~ Who Dis?

There’s tranquility in developing photos. Maybe it’s the red light saturating the room in its glow or perhaps the gentle splash of chemicals in the film bath? Whatever it is, it distracts me from the tension lingering between Julian and me. 

My pocket buzzes, so I make a hasty exit from the darkroom, and warmth instantly spreads across my face when I read the text.

Moses: Hey, neighbor.

Me: Hey.

Moses: What are you up to?

Me: Developing photos from a wedding. What about you? 

Moses: Thinking about you.

There might as well be hummingbirds flapping in my stomach with how happy that makes me. I wish I could reach through the screen and hug him.

Moses: Miss you already.

My thumbs hover over the keypad as I release a squeal and dance in place. Jerry pokes his head out from his office, so I wipe the smile from my face and play it cool.

Moses: See you this evening?

Since the night at Casanova, we’ve been a bit inseparable. His shift at the hospital ends at eleven-thirty PM, so he comes over after midnight, and I heat leftovers for him to eat. Then we lay in bed talking about everything and anything, except for the topic of Valentina Moreno. We haven’t had sex yet, but for the first time in years, I can sleep through the night with him snuggled against me.

Judging by his soft snoring, he’s able to sleep too.

Me: I’ll have dinner ready and a snuggle spot reserved for you.

Moses: Sounds perfect.

“You done fooling around?” Jerry now stands in his office doorway with arms folded.

“Um, yes…”

“Well, then get back to work.”

“Someone is moody.” I straighten my shoulders.

“Yeah, well, I don’t appreciate your dad calling and chewing me a new asshole. We’ve got bills to pay, and this isn’t a playground.”

“I’m aware.”

“You can’t have daddy bail you out of being an adult.”

“First of all, Jerry,” I hold up my hand. “Don’t be rude. I didn’t chew you a new asshole. And second, when did he call you?”

“Last night. He said I’m too hard on you, so I told him to piss off, and we got into it.”

“Why would he do that…” I furrow my brows.

“Why? Your dad is a prick. He’s always been a prick,” Jerry scoffs. I reel back at that remark. Because my father is the sweetest man I know. “Anyway, I need you to focus on those photos from the Kominsky wedding and then help Julian in the studio with the senior graduate portraits.”

As much as I want Jerry to elaborate on his comment, it feels like another can of worms. So, I slip back into the darkroom and try to concentrate on the photos.

∆∆∆

It’s past midnight, and Moses is scarfing down the teriyaki stir fry I made. His damp hair from showering keeps falling into his tired eyes, and his drooping shoulders still carry the weight of a long shift. A patient died in the ER from a gunshot wound, and he was the one who performed CPR to no avail.