Because He Can't (Forgive Himself)

It was a somewhat normal day at the Institute. Everyone working on their projects, or being brought out for some inspirational field trip.

Today, it was Tadashi and his friends' turn to go out. They were heading out to the hospital, in hopes of new medical advancements.

But they came at a very wrong time.

Tadashi was talking to a doctor when some nurses came rushing by with a screaming patient on a stretcher.

But that's not what made the young genius freeze.

It was the lack of an arm, and what he some yelling: Let me die, please. Let me, let die. Over and over, he screamed.

And it broke his heart.

That's when Tadashi swore he'd make something to help people like that man.

(He tried to ignore the sobs from the girl who wanted to follow the nurses.)

__________________________________________________________________

Tadashi was working in the cafe for a bit, to help Aunt Cass, when he heard a conversation going on between Lance, the owner of a small mechanics business, and his own aunt.

They were talking about that man.

"So, how's Arthur doing since he's been admitted?" Aunt Cass questioned, stirring some coffee for the gruff man.

"He's been ignorin' his food lately. It's got all of us worried,"Lance said, pulling out his wallet,"'specially Viv. He's all she has got now."

Aunt Cass nodded sadly,"Maybe we could visit him? The boys could birng some inspiration to him..."

Tadashi decided to visit him.

__________________________________________________________________

 Knock. Knock.

Arthur turned his head to door, which was opened slowly. A man about his age stepped through, short black hair and kind brown eyes.

He cocked his head to the side. Why would this man visit him?

"Uh, I-I'm Tadashi Hamada... My aunt knows you and your uncle, right?" This earned him a nod.

"O-okay... Um, I heard you haven't touched your food. That's not good, okay?" The male sat next to him,"Its amazing that you're alive. Mr. Kingsman is worried about you."

"I-I c-can't...,"Arthur cleared his throat, voice tired and hoarse,"C-c-can't ea-eat. D-did someth-thing b-bad,"Arthur's eyes filled with tears.

"If you don't mind, what happened?"

_________________________________________________________________

Tadashi knew what he had to do.

He had to help to boy he'd learned to be Arthur.

He said he killed someone, someone named Lewis. But he didn't want to, to was the fog's fault. Despite how wild this all was, Tadashi believed him.

He wanted to help fix what was broken, because he wasn't shattered just yet.

__________________________________________________________________

Over the next few months, Tadashi visited Arthur. The two talked while both worked on their projects.

Arthur was making an arm for himself. That little genius.

Lance had gotten Galahad, Arthur's lovable hamster, in and was helping Arthur.

Tadashi was making a robot that could help many people. He could feel it, it was going to save lives.

__________________________________________________________________

Today, Arthur is going to be released, and Tadashi was gonna be there. He'd liked to think that the two had become friends.

Arthur liked to think that, too.

He rode up on his motorcycle, smiling at the tired looking male.

"Hey, Tadashi. Do I finally get to meet your nerd friends?"

"I thought you already met one of my nerd friends? I mean, you've met yourself, haven't you?"

"Nope."

They laughed, ignoring that it was time to go.

That's the day Tadashi met Vivi and their dog, Mystery.

(Even if Arthur still didn't get to meet his friends.)

__________________________________________________________________

"Hey, Tadashi, I can't find the wires I ordered. And, now that I think about it, I can't find *three fourths. Do you any I could borrow?" Arthur asked, twiddling his screw driver.

"At the school. Do you wanna head over there?" A nod.

They were quick to move towards to the motorcycle after gathering a few of Arthur's tools.

The two made it over there in record time.

Tadashi led the blond to his lab, opening it up for Arthur to grin at the mess of tools and projects. It didn't even to phase him.

"Hey, guys!"Tadashi shouted,"Have any of you guys seen my spare three fourths?" Honey was the only one not to wrapped up to notice his call.

"They should be in your lab, still."She called, walking over.

"Oh, who is this?" That got everyone's attention. Eyes snapped up to spot Arthur, who blinked and subconsciously brought his metal arm closer to his chest. Tadashi chuckled,"This is Arthur. Arthur, this Honey Lemon, Wasabi, Go Go, and Fred,"He said, pointing to everyone according to their name being called. Arthur waved, still clutching the half built arm.

"What happened to his arm?"Fred said, messing with the sign.

"Um, an a-accident..." Arthur replied, shying away,"C-can we go get those supplies?" Tadashi nodded, apologetic eyes glancing back.

He'd get used to it, Tadashi could feel it.

(*Three fourths - Three fourth of an inch screw.)

__________________________________________________________________

And Arthur did.

He came over often. So often, the teachers had started to consider him a somewhat a student. Everyone knew him.

If he came into a classroom, the teacher would scold him but kindly ask what he needed. He'd smile and respond. It was normally advice on sensory, but not for his arm.

If he left for long periods of time, the students and teachers eagerly awaited his return. He always had stories to tell of ghosts and demons, and they were fun to listen to, even if most didn't believe.

But this was longer than any wait, and Tadashi was growing fearful for his friend.

When he finally walked through those doors, he looked tired and scared. He looked like he was going to break at the slightest touch.

"T-Tadashi,"He whispered tiredly. Arthur glanced to Hiro, who had just joined the school with a questioning look before shaking his head. Tadashi knew this was bad.

So he lightly pushed Hiro over to Honey Lemon, a look telling her to keep him away. He lightly took Arthur's metal wrist.

He chose to ignore the flinch.

They walked into Tadashi's private lab, sitting down on the stools.

"What's wrong, Arthur?"

Arthur began to cry and sob,"H-he's back!" Tadashi cocked his head to the side.

"L-Lewis's b-b-back!"

__________________________________________________________________

AN: That took longer than I wanted...

The idea is killing me, too. Yay.