Chapter 11

Sanara awakened from her restless slumber to silver eyes that she was more than familiar with

Sanara awakened from her restless slumber to silver eyes that she was more than familiar with. She sat up slowly while trying to blink the haze away.

The hand that was wrapped around hers squeezed while she adjusted her pillow in order to sit up against it. Faust moved from where he was curled up by her legs to sit on her lap.

"How are you feeling, Regina mea?"

Sanara tilted her head to the left and right as if testing its weight on her neck and shoulders. "I have a slight headache. But I am otherwise okay." She whispered, her voice gravelly with sleep. She let Faust's soft tortoiseshell-colored fur poke through her splayed fingers as she caressed him.

Sidereus leaned forward in his chair situated by her bed and placed his large hands on either side of her face. "This is becoming a habit." He gruffly stated, occupying her bedside for the second time in just a few days.

Sanara let out a small laugh. "I cannot quite say I enjoy this either."

Sidereus' hands settled on either side of her neck, his thumbs stroking her jaw. "What happened?"

A deep breath preceded her words as if bracing herself for the onslaught of emotions that battered her when she revisited the memories of what had happened an hour or so before. "I finished my studies in the library and suddenly felt inclined to go to the garden. I remember standing in front of the statue of Luna and seeing the weapon beside it. When I picked it up, I could no longer control my body. The weapon spoke to me. It craved my blood. I have never heard of anything like it before. It was terrifying. It would have killed me if you had not found me first."

Sidereus let out a low growl. "Your thoughts before that?"

Sanara looked to the floor beside the bed, trying to recall. Her hands moved from Faust and clutched the bed sheet that covered her legs.

"I was frustrated and exhausted. After spending the whole day unsuccessfully studying texts, I felt useless." Like she was an unworthy choice for Queen. She looked down at her fists.

Sidereus huffed at the words leaving his mate's mouth but stayed silent. Instead of offering her comfort through words, he combed a hand through her long hair.

"That weapon controls body and mind." He slowly explained. "It manipulates emotions. Tempts its victim towards it."

Sophia's words crossed her mind. The dark side of the moon is hidden for a reason. The emotions we hide within us are the greatest treason. Her strange words had come true. Once again, Sanara wondered who or what the older lady was. How had she known?

"Who can create such a weapon? And why use it now?"

"The faeries. Their magic targetted your emotions and hid you from sight. It is a declaration of war." Sidereus rasped. He almost sounded excited at the thought. As if he anticipated what was to come.