Prologue; Family Secret

From an outsider's perspective everything seemed fine - no, more than fine, perfect. It all seemed perfect. The Remingtons seemed like a perfect, loving, religious church-going family. Everyone loved them, and wished they had their lives. They had that perfectly groomed lawn, white picket fence, apple-pie life. George and Annalise Remington seemed like a happily married couple, and loving parents to two beautiful girls. At least that's what everyone thought. But appearances can be deceiving.

They didn't know how violent George got when he was drunk - which he was more often than not - or how Annalise was screwing the girls' teacher, Mr. Hewitt. They didn't know George was cheating too, with just about every woman he encountered, or that said women were usually half his age. Or the fact that they both knew the other was cheating. No one knew about how Abigail and Beth cried themselves to sleep more often than not. Or about the bruises they hid behind dark sunglasses and covered with makeup whenever they went out. Nobody ever even so much as thought to look for the skeletons in their closets because no one thought there were any. But they were wrong, so very wrong.