4: December 31st 2013

December 31, 2013JIN

December 31, 2013
JIN

[08:32 AM, Taehyung & Jin's house]

    "Tonight's supposed to be our first New Year's Eve together, Tae," Jin muttered on the phone in dismay.

    "I know, babe, and I'm sorry. Shit. Eomma made me promise to spend the New Year's at home since she's miffed that I didn't get to spend Christmas with them this year."

    "'Cause you spent it with me," Jin whispered.

    "What's that, babe?"

    Jin sighed inaudibly, "Nothing. It's alright, Tae. I understand."

    Again.

    "Are you sure?"

    And what if I'm not? Would you come right back home?

    "Yeah."

    "Oh, tha-"

    "Right, Tae, gonna hang up now."

    "But I still want to talk to you, like for a few more minutes or so."

    "I still have some things to do."

    Not.

    "What things?"

    "Just some things. Like, getting ready to go out-"

    "You're going out?"

    "Since we will not be spending the New Year's together, I might as well accept Jimin's invitation," Jin gibed. "I really should get ready, Tae."

    "Hey, are you mad?"

    Good to know you're not that dumb.

    "No, why would I be? Oh, Chim's just got here. Gotta go."

    What a lame excuse, Jin.

    "Fine, but I'll call you back later, okay?"

    "Sure, Tae. Bye."

    "I love y-"

    Jin ended the call before Taehyung could even complete those three words.

_

[11:49 PM, Esmeraldo Memorial Gardens]

    Jin drummed his fingers on his lap in nervousness. The dot on his profile photo meant his brother's active, but he was yet to read his message.

🟢 Kim Namjoon
active now

Joonie... ☺️
Happy New Year! 🎉
Hyung loves you a lot, my 🐨 bear.
Forgive hyung, please.
Either way, I hope you're doing well and may you have a wonderful year ahead, my Joonie.

Seen

    His tears burst out as he saw his messages were just left on seen by his only family that he loved the most in this world. Jin watched with blurry eyes as the snowdrops fell down to the ground, blanketing the graveyard in white. Laying cold and damp on his parents' grave, he wailed his heart out amidst the freezing air.

    What a cruel way to greet the new year.

    He had never felt so alone.

●●●●●●●

Trapped In Between. © JT Starr, 2022.