Chapter 1

For as long as Madison and Zoe could remember, the two have been best friends. No matter what happened, they stuck together since kindergarten. Ever since they got to high school, Madison was interested in being popular and bringing her reputation up. According to Madison, the girls are soulmates; but being popular with her best friend would be even better.

When the two were freshmen, Madison was quickly grabbed from Zoe by a group of girls. Soon enough, she was one of the most popular girls at the school while trying to keep her friendship with Zoe. A month later, she was kicked out of the popular group after something went wrong at one of the homecoming parties.

Two years later, it's the middle of the school year, and Madison decided to sign up for homecoming queen to clear her name and become popular again. She had no one to go with yet, but she decided to sign up anyway.

Zoe watched her write her name on the list of people willing to be candidates. She wasn't sure why Madison would do this; Everything was going well the way they were. "Why would you sign up for this? Do you think people care about this kind of stuff?"

Madison stared at the list, looking at the other couple's names. "I'm sure people would rather go without Coco and her boyfriend winning," she said, imagining how Coco would say a lengthy speech after being crowned. "Besides, I thought you would support me," she pouted.

"I'll support you, but our school is weird. What makes you think things will change?" Zoe asked, knowing that Madison was making it up to be something better than it was.

The blonde shrugged and walked back to the cafeteria table. "It's just to get my name out again, and if it doesn't work, there's always next year," she explained.

"And what about your homecoming king?" Zoe asked curiously. Madison could've gotten anyone in the school, but her excuse for not dating was that no one here was good enough.

"I'll figure it out eventually," Madison replied. She honestly had no idea who she would go with, but a part of her wanted it to be Zoe so that she didn't have to find someone. But that could never happen, so Madison didn't bother asking. "Anyway, How's your ongoing crush on Kyle?" She teased.

Ever since Zoe arrived at Robichaux's high school, she had her eyes on the same guy. He was popular, so he never noticed Zoe, but Madison knew how badly her best friend wanted him. The worst part was how much she drooled over him and how Madison had to hear about it.

Zoe smiled just from hearing his name, and Madison rolled her eyes. "I have class with him now," she happily said as the bell rang.

"If you keep staring at him in class, you might fail," Madison muttered and stood up to get to class. "Have fun," she said before leaving.

Classes went by quickly, and it was already the end of the day. After the last bell rang, Madison was about to leave when she realized there was a note taped to her locker. She walked closer to it and opened it, wanting to see who it was from.

Party at Gallant's house, 8:00 pm. Bring Zoe.

Madison stared at the note. She had no idea why anyone would invite her to a party, but it dawned on her. Her plan might be working. Maybe someone saw her name on the homecoming queen list and wanted to invite her. Madison pocketed the note and texted Zoe to come over after school.

"How does this look?" Madison asked for the 10th time

Zoe watched her try on many outfits in her room for the party tonight. Zoe only said yes to going because she didn't want Madison to go by herself. Other than that, Zoe disliked parties and would rather be doing anything else on a Friday night.