Prologue

Jamie | After

━━━━━━━

Have you ever met someone so beautiful that, no matter how hard you try, you can't find a crack in their mirror of perfection? Someone that, no matter what obstacles lie in their wake, they're completely, utterly, solely, impenetrable?

I have.

When I first met Blaire Olsen, she was untouchable – a golden bullet soaring through the halls of Berewood Seniors. Her presence was always there, even when she wasn't. Our student body gravitated towards her like we were her planets and she our sun; in our orbit, we were so dazzled by Blaire, so blinded, that we didn't see the darkness lurking beneath.

Nobody saw the warning signs – nobody saw it coming. 

Blaire Olsen cruised through the halls of Berewood with her lips painted red and head held high. Her smile was like clockwork: beautiful, controlled and calculated. Blaire sculpted her high school dream in a matter of days, and she didn't care who she knocked down to get there. Like I said, she was untouchable.

Nobody knew what she had planned. If we did, maybe we could have stopped it. Maybe I could have stopped it, and things would still be the same in our little riverside town.

But Blaire was, and remains, a mystery. A lioness, standing tall in the middle of her pride – beautiful in every possible way a girl can be, deadly in every way a girl could be.

That is, of course, until she wasn't.

Until she lay still, blood beating from her skull and tainting that golden hair a deadly red. Until her fingertips turned blue, eyes blank and skin damp from the rain. Until the then missing Blaire Olivia Olsen became a household name and, not even two days later, dog walkers found her body decaying in the woods, mud caked inside of her faded manicure.

I'm getting ahead of myself, though. Let me start at the beginning.

 Let me start at the beginning