Chapter 3

Carlos calls a doctor and brings Madonna to the clinic to get a once over the following afternoon.

"I see no problems. Everything is normal, Mr. Leon, no real need to worry" The doctor says

"But she fainted and couldn't stand afterward"

"Why don't you try creating a small human being inside your body and see how well you react?" Madonna says.

"Exactly, she just may need to rest a little more than usual and try to keep as calm as possible, that's all"

"See Carlos? Now don't you feel foolish?" Madonna hugs and kisses him, "I'm fine okay, now stop carrying me everywhere!"

"Alright"

"We'll see you back in a month or so to look over the heartbeat and how it's developing"

"Thank you, doctor" Madonna says, as he leaves the room.

The doctor nods, closing the door behind him.

"I have to go into the studio tomorrow then go over video concepts. Will you watch Lola and prepare her meals, all that stuff?"

"How late are we talking here?"

"Hmmm, I dunno, I guess when it's over I'll come home"

"Madonna, he said to rest"

"Yes but he didn't say I was dying so I'll be fine. Okay, okay, I'll try to be home early"

"6?"

"10."

"No, Madonna."

"Yes, Carlos."

Madonna takes his hand and leads him out the door of the exam room.

When they arrive home, they collect Lola from a friend's house and Carlos begins making dinner for the 3 of them.

"Madonna, go lay down and I will get you when I'm done."

"You don't have to tell me--" Madonna yawns, stretching. "twice", she laughs. "I'm exhausted"

"You're tired already, so soon in the pregnancy?"

"Yeah, It was the same with Lola, when I was filming Evita"

"Are you sure you can make it through a long day like that tomorrow? Your schedule is very demanding"

"Yeah, I'll manage. Are you saying I should put off the album for a while?"

"Well, I think it would be a good idea. I mean, we went to the doctor's office and you need to sleep already."

"I'm tired Carlos, I'll talk about it at dinner but not now"

"Alright"

"Thank you"

Madonna goes into the bedroom and changes into a slip. She peels back the covers and lays beneath them, falling asleep instantly.

An hour later she wakes up a bit refreshed, but not much. Madonna sits on the edge of the bed.

"This baby is going to be trouble, I can tell"

"Madonna are you ready, dear?"

"Aren't I always?"

Madonna stands and is still a bit woozy. She holds onto the nightstand, attempting to remain upright.

"I hate doing this.." She says quietly to herself "Carlos, can you help me?" She calls.

"Yeah, wait a sec"

"Alright, thank you"

Carlos stands in the doorway looking at her. She looks so incredibly weak and tired, like he had never seen before.