Chapter 10 A Small Cemetery

The travelers discovered a small cemetery within the labyrinth paths.

Sir Didymus removed his hat and held it at his chest. "A moment of silence for those who have passed on" he said.
"Oh," Toby said and bowed his head in silence. When he raised his head again he noticed upon one of the gravestones a strange looking hat. It was shaped like a bird's head. Then suddenly the eyes of the bird opened! "Hello" the hat spoke!

"Hi. What are you doing here in this cemetery?" Toby asked.

"My master left this world and I was left to watch over his grave" the hat replied.

"Wouldst thou wish us to remove thee from this place?" Sir Didymus offered.

"Well, well...where would I go?" The hat asked sarcastically. "Perhaps on a vacation? Or to live in a zoo?"

"Okay, stay here then" Toby said, a little annoyed at the attitude of the strange hat.

Sir Didymus and Toby moved on from the cemetery. Little did they know ...as they walked away a phoenix flew above the cemetery and spotted the hat. It flew down and cried out a sound of joyful surprise.

"My brother, is it really you?!" the hat asked.

"We had lost hope of ever seeing you again" replied the phoenix "The family will celebrate when we arrive home together!"

"I may not be the bird I once was" the hat sadly admitted, looking at the change that had happened with his body years ago.

"No matter!" replied the phoenix, "We love you and will shout with joy about your return!"

The bird gently grasped the hat with it's talons and lifted him off the gravestone. As they flew into the sky the hat thought how it had been many years since the he had felt flight! He embraced every moment of the once familiar experience. With more joy in him than he had felt since the last day he had been with his flock.

Enara Vile entered the cemetery as the birds flew off into the sky

She searched the gravestones for a moment and stopped at one in particular. Kneeling down she placed a flower against the tombstone of her mother whose image was displayed in the center. Enara looked at her mother's face and recalled what she looked like in person. With her beautiful style and her royal court. Once upon a time when the court was not made up of goblins but of human beings. A court that doted upon their queen and followed her obsession with fashion. The men styled their facial hair long but each with a unique creative fashion. Mustaches that formed swirls or even tusks. Beards that formed intricate designs below their chins. Handsome hats and clothing to match their facial efforts.
The women wore their hair full and large above their heads as if they were hats themselves.
Each social gathering was a picture perfect affair.

"Hi, Mom" Enara said

"Hi, Mom" Enara said. "Remember the time we had a tea party in the tower? I must have been 6 years old..." Enara imagined her childhood playhouse tower in their backyard, amidst a hedge labyrinth. Enara spent much of her childhood in that tower. Only once had her mother ever gone inside to play with her.

Then Enara remembered what happened next "Jareth ruined it when he practiced his magic on our tea. He turned the tea into gooseworms."

"I was so angry I threatened to throw him into the Bog of Eternal Stench!"

Enara leaned into the tombstone resting her forehead against the top of it. This being the closest thing she had to hugging her mother now. Mother was not much of an affectionate parent when she was alive, however, on occasion there was a hug or words endearment and those are the memories Enara cherished most.

                    -                                           -                                  -                                         -

Sarah woke that day with a desire to get out of the castle. She and Jareth ventured into the goblin city and strolled around. As Sarah walked she noticed how bland the colors were around the square and the neighborhoods. "I have a fun idea" Sarah said aloud. "Let's dress up the city with some color. Can we find some fabric?"
Jareth considered this a moment and said "Of course, my dear." He called upon the nearest goblins "Find colorful cloths and bring them to your princess, NOW!" immediately the goblins scurried off in different directions.

Later that day a crowd of goblins met with their king and princess in the square cutting fabrics into flags and banners. Sarah handed them out and asked "Please hang these around the city from windows and on gates? We'll make this place more cheerful!" Sarah felt like she was making a difference and that was a feeling she had always cherished.