1. Major missing

De Villiers house:

Both the captains Sanju and Faf have walked out for the toss.

'Dani come fast, the match is about to begin.' Ab called his wife eagerly.

'I can hear the television. Even the toss isn't done yet. The kids will be home any time soon.' she yelled back from the bedroom, while she was giving her best to put Yente to sleep.

'Is she not sleeping?' he asked.

'No. She's giving me a hard time.'

'She wants to watch her Vi uncle play. It's our RCB match after all. Bring her here.'

'Yeah I'll do that. She's not sleeping anyways.' Dani brought Yente into the living room, where Ab was watching the match.

Yente as soon as she saw her dada forwarded her hands to him, making Dani sigh and Ab giggle.

'She's daddy's girl. You see that.' Ab remarked as he took Yente into his arms.

'I have two boys. So one of our children loving you more is alright.' she replied.

Before he could say something to her his attention was caught by faf and Vi fist pumping. It might have made him a bit jealous.

'Your two bestfriends in the same team. I'm sure you must be wanting to play alongside them.' she said casually unaware of what it kindles in him.

How nice would it be if I played alongside with them

'The contract for all Australian players is from April sixth right?' Dani asked him bringing him back from his thoughts.

'Yeah. Why do you ask?'

'Why is Maxi in the huddle then?' she asked pointing at the television.

Maxi was enacting something which made Vi and faf burst out in laughter and Vi began clinging to faf and the duo were soon joined by Maxi.

'Someone has to remind them that they are there at the stadium to play and to cling onto one other.' Ab said shocking his wife. Infact any one would be! Who would have thought that AB could get jealous?

Dani extended her hand to his forehead and checked his temperature and told the cliche dialogue, 'Are you my husband Ab? Or someone else?'

He had something else to focus on that he couldn't pay heed to his wife. He made Yente sit on the couch and went to the table to pluck out his phone from charging. He dialled Vi's number.

And the cameraman, to make AB more jealous, didn't change the frame.

Why isn't Biscotti lifting my call?

With the phone placed at his ear, his eyes were fixed to the television screen. Shabhaz has come and handed over a phone to Vi and his face automatically lit up and seeing that made Ab extremely happy too.

'Biscotti, aren't you watching the match?' Vi asked.

'I have to make the kids do their school work. I'll start watching it when the match starts.' he lied and could see his wife mouthing 'Liar'

'Yeah sure. But do watch it then. I know I don't have to remind you but telling it anyways.' Vi said and Ab was watching his expressions from the television screen.

'Shall we go for the pep talk now?' Faf asked.

So he got reminded of it only when I'm talking to Biscuit?

Uhh, no you don't think like that Ab. Both of them are your best friends and didn't you want them to gel together?

'Faf doesn't wanna talk to me?' he asked.

'He doesn't know it's you. Shall I give the phone to him?' Vi asked.

'Who's it?' Maxi asked.

'It's Ab.' Vi said.

'Ab! And why didn't he call me?' Faf asked.

'He's asking me to hand the phone to you.' Vi said and handed the phone to him.

'Hey Man, all the best.' Ab wished him luck.

'Thanks. Keep watching the match and we'll call you after the match completes.' Faf said.

'Yeah ok. Bye.'

'Bye.'

Talking to them did calm down Ab a bit.

'We should have gone to India. Even if I retired,we could have atleast been with them.' Ab told his wife.

'Yeah. Only if the boys didn't have to go to offline classes.' she sighed.

'Why aren't they home yet? It's about to be 4?' he asked.

'The bus might be delayed. They'll be home soon.'

'I don't want them to miss the match'

'Don't encourage them to watch television as soon as they come home. Let them do their homeworks first.' she ordered.

'Only for this day.' he pleaded his wife and how could she resist when the usual composed husband pleads and looks extra cute.

'Look at Virat giving the pep talk.' Dani pointed at the huddle with faf standing beside his Biscotti while his Biscotti is prepping the players

'He is still the backbone of RCB and nothing can stop him from being that.'

'You are our backbone Ab. Please don't retire.' these words of Virat have flashed up in Ab's mind.

Butler and Jaiswal are at the crease. Butler is one strike and siraj will open the attack.

Ab missed talking to his bowlers while keeping. He missed a lot of things.

Then was a pretty loud LBW appeal in the fourth ball.

Ab was confused for a second when the camera began focussing on Faf. It took him a minute to realise Virat isn't the captain and the reviews will be taken by the new captain Faf.

Dk has come from behind the wickets and wasn't allowing faf to go for a review.

Ab couldn't help but think of the olden days where he was the wicket keeper and his Biscotti was the captain. He was happy for faf and DK but he missed his olden days.

First Parthiv and then Bharat would keep wickets sometimes but he would be there with his Biscotti all the time, unlike now.

Despite Siraj's insistence, Dk doesn't allow Faf to take the review and they'll be thankful for that for not having to waste a review.

The bus honked indicating that the boys are home.

It would be Ab who would rush to his kids everyday but that day he planned to not move from the TV screen.

'Come and sit here. You are five balls late.' he told his boys as they have come into the house.

'I'll get something for you to eat.' Dani said leaving to the kitchen.

The first over was done and RR was 2-0. The ad started playing and Ab went to get a glass of water for himself, hoping it would help him divert his thoughts and shoo away his memories

*****

I'm writing Abrat for the very first time ( expect the RCB chapters in my book 'Virushka: Our eternal love') hope you like it.

Do tell me if u want any modifications or if the chapter is boring.

And trust me, this short story is gonna end in the sweetest way ever!

Will vote the second chapter when this chapter gets 35 votes and 20 comments.

Until then stay safe and happy ❤️