TWENTY-SEVEN

Detective Landry pulled up next to his car, but Braxton didn't stay inside like he normally did

Detective Landry pulled up next to his car, but Braxton didn't stay inside like he normally did. Their exchanges had mainly taken place just like this, with rolled down windows the only thing linking them. But the parking garage was completely empty, making him feel comfortable enough to get out of the car.

He almost slammed the door behind him, but remembered how much he loved his Range, and made his way to the passenger side of Landry's car.

Swiftly, he pulled out his piece and put the barrel right up to her forehead. "You've been fuckin' wit' me," he said as a statement, not a question. "You got three seconds to be honest wit'me or it's yo' life."

Her whole body went stiff, but she played it off. Still, he knew he had got to her.

The entire time she had been feeding them information, all the evidence pointed to Nadine being guilty. But he had just witnessed Lorena entering the police station, and all signs really pointed to her being the informant, not Nadine. So either Detective Landry was feeding them false information, or she was simply wrong.

"Lower the gun, Wright."

"Nah, you ain't makin' demands here."

"You called me saying you needed me to do something. I agreed to meet. So what is it you want?"

"The truth."

"About what?"

"Who is the real snitch? Cause after today, I'm not sure it's Nadine."

Truthfully, he had always had his doubts whether or not Nadine switched sides. But this just confirmed that he was wrong, and he pushed her away. It made his heart clench to know that she could be out there in a bad situation because of his unwillingness to listen.

"You know what I think? I think you been lyin' this whole time. I think you and Lorena working together, and both of y'all planned to put this on Nadine. And you thought it was gon' work out, being that she's missing. But how do I know you two don't have nothin' to do wit that?"

The detective swallowed hard and closed her eyes. "I don't know how Lorena is involved, all I know--

"Shut the fuck up. Apparently you don't know shit," he said, pressing the barrel deeper into her forehead. He was still working through it in his mind, trying to figure out what Det. Landry had to gain by working with Lorena. And why Lorena was even snitching on him in the first place. That piece, he hadn't put together yet.

"Y'all got forms and shit, right? I know it's somewhere in writing if Lorena is working with the police. I need to see the documents."

"I've already searched Det. Brenner's records. He don't have Lorena or Nadine listed in any official paperwork."

"Then find the unofficial paperwork."

"There ain't none. He has an agreement with the Chief that ain't on the books. I don't know where I'd look."