Chapter 38

Shiva and Raavi left the Ashram hand in hand, but not before going back to the bench under the tree facing the sculptures of three monkeys. Since it was past 6:30 PM, the crowd had considerably thinned out, they were relatively secluded. With Shiva sitting on the bench underneath the peepal tree, Raavi sat sideways on Shiva's lap, arms around him, resting her head in the crook of his neck, "All of this feels different knowing their donations helped buy this bench. I sat here so many times after a volunteering shift never realizing my connection to this place. I feel like a weight has been lifted off my chest, and I feel at peace knowing my questions have gotten their answers. Thank-you Shiva, this wouldn't have happened without you." Kissing his cheek, repeatedly, she kept murmuring, "I love you."

Tucking her hair behind, "You kept preserving and having faith when it was easier to give up and move on. Itni dheet jo hai. Today is just proof of the strength of your love, your conviction and optimism...They loved you, baby girl, always remember that. In fact, I can confirm its scientifically impossible not to love you," he finished, as she smiled. He pressed a kiss to the mole on her cheek, "but sweetheart, you still have to resolve the dispute with the builder," he said, hating that the sparkle in her eyes dimmed a bit. If he ever found the a**hole who hurt his wife, he would take great pleasure in beating this person up.

Raavi nodded, stroking his cheeks, "I know, and we will deal with the dispute too, but right now, sitting on this bench, I am choosing to be happy with you. I feel so free and light, I feel like a bird that's flying after a long time."

"You feel like your flying?" he asked her amused, as she enthusiastically nodded, her face lighting up in her signature brilliant mega-watt smile. "Then do you mind flying off my lap? Heavy weight Chipkali champion!" he teased her.

Her eyes widened in mock outrage as she got off him, "Main itni bhi heavy nahi hoon, ki tujh jaise Chattan ko complain karna pade. Hamesha toh mujhe Store ke bori ki tarah utha hai. Stupid gadheda."

He stood up and took her hand, twirling her, "Tu khud hi apne aap ke baare main khayali pulao bana rahi hai. Tu ne kabhi ek bhi bori utaya hai? Nahi na! Toh tu kya jaane ek bori ki wazan?" Saying that, he lifted her bridal style and did bicep curls, as if he were doing his fitness drills at the soccer club, as she twisted and shrieked in joy, yelling, "Shiva, mujhe chod!"

Putting her down, "Hmm... bori se tu light hi hai, phir se check karoon kya?" he asked her, as she inched away from him, squealing in joy, her laughter tinkling like windchimes in the evening air before breaking away into a run, as he chased her all through the exit gates.

As they were running into their tomorrows, the perfect flower fell from the peepal tree onto the bench right where they had been sitting.

Hand in hand, Shiva and Raavi walked back to the designated parking area in decidedly different mood than they came in. In the evening, the city had come to life with lights, throngs of people shopping, sight seeing, grabbing food, and street vendors yelling best deals. Passing by the evening vendors in the busy streets, each step Raavi took, she grew more ecstatic. "Ye le, isko pakad" she said, giving him the jute bag.

Unable to contain her happiness, Raavi practically glided; twirling and dancing from then on, turning heads everywhere she passed by. She waved and made cute faces at kids, who beamed back at her. She danced if she heard a song she knew, often inviting other pedestrians, especially kids, and they did stop by to dance with her. She stopped to pet stray dogs, all of whom sensed her elation and happiness, yipped at her heels cheerfully.

Stopping in front of him, she beamed, "main aaj itni itni itniii khush hoon, Shiva, aisa lag raha hai, main chand pe khade hoke puri duniya ko dekh rahi hoon."